𝗙𝗢𝗨𝗥𝗧𝗘𝗘𝗡; 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖼𝗈𝗇𝗏𝖾𝗋𝗌𝖺𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇

||꒰𝒋𝒖𝒍𝒊𝒂𝒏𝒏𝒂꒱||

||꒰𝒋𝒖𝒍𝒊𝒂𝒏𝒏𝒂꒱||

When I went outside to feed my chickens, my dad was already out there, painting. So I sprinkled feed across the ground, and then went to greet him.

"Good morning, dad," I said cheerfully.

He gave a look that killed my mood. "Julianna, there's something I need to talk to you about."

Of course there was something. I just hoped it didn't have to do with Bryce. "Okay," I replied.

"It's about your uncle," he said monotonously. I sighed with relief, but then worried over what might've happened. "He's here, sleeping, but I talked to the doctors yesterday."

"And?" I was nervous, more nervous than I'd ever been.

The look on his face darkened. "And they don't know how much longer he has." I gasped. "He's been getting worse at an alarming pace. More tantrums, less awareness. We thought he was just tired of the people, which is why he's here with us. But, it turns out that your Uncle David is really... damaged."

"Is he gonna be okay?" I peeped, knowing the answer would be painful yet wishing I could change it.

"Honey, I don't know. They said that his brain isn't functioning right, that it's even more secluded than before. David will have to go in for regular appointments because his condition is so severe."

A sob that I didn't know I was concealing suddenly escaped. And then I was crying into my father's shoulder. He whispered something along the lines of "Be strong, you need to go back inside" into my ear and I tugged my sleeve down, wiping tears away.

Filling my lungs with the sweet scent of our backyard, I let myself inside again.

"Bryce is in your room," my mother informed me as she flipped through the paper.

I nodded and headed that way. The door was open, so I watched him for a moment. He was reading a book and seemed quite into it. It was sweet to see this side of him.

When I walked in, Bryce closed the book abruptly and greeted me, then noticing my apparently tear-stained face.

When he asked me what was wrong I didn't even consider lying. I knew I could trust him, not only because we were dating but because he had changed. And so I sat down and confessed the newly discovered information about Uncle David.

When he tentatively placed his arm around my shoulder, I just leaned into him. Yeah, I hated it when people saw me cry. But he was someone to be vulnerable with.

•••

We went back to school on Monday morning and Bryce seemed oddly quiet. He had gone inside his home briefly to talk to his parents and left soon after, not wanting to speak of it.

As soon as I walked into the building, Darla was at my side. "Soooo, how's it going with Bryce?" She was astoundingly eager.

"Fine." I didn't want to tell her because it would for sure cause drama.

"Mhm," she pried. "Then why did I see you two eating each other's faces after school on Friday?"

Oh! Oh. She knew about that. "How did you know?"

Darla rolled her eyes. "I'm not blind! You guys were still at school, too!"

I sighed and felt my face flush with embarrassment. "Just please don't tell anyone, okay?"

"They, um, sorta already know," she replied hesitantly.

This was very bad. Very, very bad. When Shelly Stalls heard about it-

"I heard all about you and Bryce!" Her shrilly voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Okay," I replied with a roll of my eyes.

Shelly's face looked awful, and the angry expression did not compliment it. Her eyeshadow made her look kind of like a raccoon. I've seen girls with pretty eyeshadow. Shelly Stalls is not one of them. "I thought I told you to stay away from him!"

"You did," I said. "Doesn't mean I had to listen." And then I walked away, and for the first time, I genuinely felt free of Shelly. I no longer cared about what she thought or had to say, and it felt good.

•••

Science class was really dull; we had a substitute and had to watch a video about the basic fundamentals of astronomy. We were required to sit by our partners, but Bryce and I strategically placed ourselves to be next to each other as well.

As the video began, I noticed that his idle hand was inching closer to mine. I did the same, and soon our fingers were pressed up against one another. Bryce took my hand in his and we stayed that way through the class. Sometime during the video, Darla noticed and elbowed me with a grin. She can be pushy at times, but I'll admit that she's a wonderfully supportive friend.

The rest of school was boring, and I eagerly awaited the end of the day.

It came, and Bryce still wore a solemn look. I knew it wasn't because of me, or he wouldn't have held my hand in science.

"What's-"

"My parents are getting divorced," he interjected quietly.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, that must explain why you've seemed so off today," I sputtered, incapable of finding the proper words to say what I intended to.

"It's not your fault. And anyway, you've helped me so much."

"Is there anything I can do?" I just wanted to help. To make Bryce feel a little bit better.

He gulped. "My dad moves out in a week. My mom asked if I would be able to stay with you until then."

That wasn't so hard. "Of course! I'll let my parents know, and I'm sure it'll be fine."

"Thank you," he replied. I swear I saw him wiping a tear away.

"Hey, Bryce?" He looked at me. "It isn't your fault either. Don't blame yourself."

"I know, I know.. it just.. it feels like it is sometimes."

His blue eyes were glossed over, like raindrops falling from the sky. "Well, I'm always here for you, okay?"

"Okay."