𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗘𝗧𝗘𝗘𝗡; 𝖾𝗉𝗂𝗅𝗈𝗀𝗎𝖾

||꒰𝒔𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏 𝒚𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒔 𝒍𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒓꒱||

Julianna Baker and Bryce Loski took their seats at the table for two in the fancy restaurant he had chosen. They looked different, yes, but they were the same two souls that had fallen for one another.

For one, Juli had chopped off much of her hair and it now fell just above her shoulders. She also now needed to wear her stylishly large glasses, which had thin gold frames and complimented her face nicely.

Bryce had shot up nearly a foot in height but didn't tower over his girlfriend, for she had grown a bit as well. His hair had darkened, and it was now common to see him with a book.

"What can I get you two to drink?" the older man asked with a pen and paper in his hand. An oddly excited smile was on his face.

Bryce looked up at Juli, intending to tell her to order first. "Oh, um, I'll have an iced tea, please."

The server scratched something down on his pad. "And you?" he said to Bryce.

"Just a water for me is fine," Bryce replied.

The man nodded and left them.

"What're you gonna order?" Juli asked as she flipped through the menu.

Bryce had a look of contemplation on his face. "I'm not sure. Maybe we could get the lobster risotto to share? I'm not too hungry."

"Oh, that does sound good," the brunette replied.

And Bryce had good reason to have lost his appetite. He was quite nervous, after all.

A few minutes later, the server came back and set two tall glasses down on the table. "A water for you," he said to Bryce. "And an iced tea for the lady." Juli smiled gratefully.

"Thank you," Bryce told the man.

"Of course. Have you an idea of what you'd like to eat? Can I get you started on an appetizer?"

Juli piped up. "Oh, no thanks, we'll just share a lobster risotto."

"Lobster risotto," he repeated as he wrote it down. "Side salad as well?"

Juli glances at Bryce as if to ask him if he wanted a salad. He shook his head. "Uh, no thanks, but could we get it to go?"

"You certainly can," verified the waiter. "What dressing?"

"Italian is fine," said Juli.

"Alright, I'll have your risotto out as soon as I can," he said.

Bryce folded his hands together in his lap, only to find that they were ice cold. His leg bounced impatiently, but not because he was awaiting the meal. To his relief, Juli noticed nothing.

"So, is there anywhere you wanna go before school starts again in the fall?" Juli asked as she unfolded the cloth napkin and draped it over her lap. The pair both attended the same college.

"I'm not sure, we should probably wait a bit to make further plans," Bryce replied immediately and seriously.

Juli looked confused. "Um, okay, that's fine."

Bryce forced a smile.

•••

The waiter came back to take a dessert order.

"Nothing for me," Bryce said.

Juli glanced at the menu again. However, Bryce already knew what she would get. At least, he hoped he did. "I'll have the tiramisu, please," she said. Bryce exhaled a small, withheld breath. He was right about that.

"Okay, I'll bring the tiramisu out in just a moment," the server said, winking at Bryce. Bryce just nodded.

"Are you okay?" Juli asked. "You look sick."

Bryce gulped. "No, I'm okay, just tired, I think."

"Oh," Juli said.

What she didn't know was that her parents were seated at the table behind her, bearing a camera. Richard Baker smiled at Bryce and nodded. This made Bryce feel just a little bit better.

Soon, the waiter reappeared with a plate in one hand. "Thank you," Juli said as he set it down on the table. She hadn't yet seen what was on it.

Bryce took a deep breath and purposefully dropped his fork on the ground. "Oh, oops I should get that," he said, getting off the chair and bending down to pick it up. His hand reached for his pocket.

"Oh my god.." Juli mumbled. On the plate in chocolate writing were the words 'Will You Marry Me?'

Bryce looked up at her. He was now down on one knee with a ring in one hand. "Julianna Baker, I've known you since the second grade. I've loved you since eighth. We've been through so much together, and now I have one question for you. Will you make me the happiest man in the world, and be my wife?"

Juli clapped her hands over her mouth as tears of genuine joy began to pour down her face. She took in multiple short breaths. "Yes!" she cried as she took Bryce's face into her hands and kissed him firmly. "I love you," she whispered while their foreheads touched.

The restaurant erupted into applause, Trina Baker rushed to congratulate her daughter, and Chet Duncan smiled from where he stood. The server, who had been in on everything, just smiled.

Bryce felt euphoric but wished that his parents had been there to see this significant moment. He had lost contact with his father years ago, and his mother fell into a state of despair without her husband. His grandfather had practically raised him through high school, and now he hardly spoke to her.

Then, Chet walked over to the newly engaged couple. "I'm so proud of you, son," he told Bryce. "I could see it from the start. You two had flipped for each other, and there was nothing anyone could possibly do about it."

"How could I not?" asked Bryce. He turned to Juli. "You're iridescent." 

THE END.