𝗦𝗜𝗫; 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗇𝖾𝗐𝗌

||꒰𝒋𝒖𝒍𝒊𝒂𝒏𝒏𝒂꒱||

||꒰𝒋𝒖𝒍𝒊𝒂𝒏𝒏𝒂꒱||

"Because... because of you," Bryce sputtered, describing why his day had brightened.

The phrase, though short, simply a fragment of a sentence, held so much meaning. Was it truly possible that Bryce Loski and I were meant to be?

•••

We rode home together, and parting ways would've been painful had it not been planned to travel to school alongside him again. He waved goodbye from his porch and I felt my cheeks heat with a tinge of red as I waved back.

When I entered, my household was in a hectic state. "Mom, what's wrong?" I asked as I watched her frantically scurry around the kitchen, ending a phone call and shouting for my father.

"I'm sorry Julianna, I'll tell you later, I need to find your dad first," she replied swiftly.

Understanding that something had to be direly wrong for her to act in such a manner, I nodded and slipped off to my bedroom. What could possibly be happening?

My shoes and socks flew off as I rushed to go back to my mother. Was it Bryce? No, it couldn't be, I just saw him. Maybe it was Matt and Mike? Were we no longer able to pay for the house? Curse my mother, who passed on this overthinking gene!

Before I could walk out my door, my dad had entered the room.

"Dad, what's going on? Why is mom upset? What's happening?" I pleaded for answers. I just wanted to know what was going on.

He looked me firmly in the eyes as if telling me that I needed to be mature and calm. "Julianna, honey, it's a difficult topic." What's that supposed to mean?!

"What is it, dad? I can handle it," I replied, trying my best to sound grown-up.

Releasing a sigh, he explained. "It... it's your Uncle David. He hasn't been getting on well with the others where he lives."

"And?" I thought he had always had difficulty with others. 

"Well, he's going to have to move in.. with us. He'll take the guest room by your brothers'."

Oh. That wasn't so bad, I was worried something utterly tragic had occurred. "Then why's mom running around the house making calls?"

"Because she's looking for a job. It'll cost even more to have him here, and I'm not sending David to government care."

I guess it made sense. I wondered if I could get a few more chickens, help out with some egg money. "I understand."

"I knew you would, Julianna. Now, since your mother and I will be working or taking care of your uncle it means that we won't be able to spend as much time with you. I want you to know that this doesn't mean we don't love you or care about you - we do so very much."

My mother entered the room. It felt good to be trusted by my parents.

She began to speak. "Yes, and I know things will be different and you might feel lonely sometimes, but you can always go out and play with your friends. As long as it isn't too late, your homework is done and you're being responsible, just let us know where you are."

The edges of my lips upturned in a phony expression, and I prayed they couldn't see through it. All I wanted was for them to be happy.

"Okay, mom. I'll try to spend some time with Uncle David, too."

My parents offered identical smiles, both clearly showing that they wished there was another option.

"You're a good kid, Juli," my dad said as they exited the room.

Left alone with my thoughts, I pondered over the future. No one else on the street was anywhere close to my age except... a certain neighbor boy.

I walked over to my dresser and peered through the curtains. Across the street, I saw an outline that matched up with Bryce's. Allowing myself just a moment to daydream, I wished I was there with him. He was reading, it appeared. 

Suddenly, his window shade was moved, replaced with a clear image of his face. I felt my features heat up, mortified to be caught watching him. To my surprise, however, he didn't seem upset in the slightest. Instead, he waved at me and grinned. I lifted my hand and tried to return the smile, but it was difficult to be cheerful when I knew Uncle David was doing worse. Offering the second fake expression of the evening, I attempted to hide my emotions.

Bryce, unlike my parents, was not fooled. He gave me a look as if to say, 'What's wrong?'

Shrugging, I forced myself to close the curtains and lay down. I felt bad for leaving so abruptly, but my 'okay' mood was diminishing and becoming worse.

I closed my eyes, and hoped that tomorrow would be better.