Chapter 5: Myles' Choice

"Uh, hi," he muttered.

"What the hell are you doing here?!" I stood and glared at him. He was one of the reasons my life at Victorn Girls Academy was so damn shitty. He didn't know how to keep his hands to himself.

Myles looked at Connor, standing a few inches taller than him. He was very intimidating. Connor didn't look scared. He didn't even blink an eye. "Look, I came because they sad you were here."

"And what, you thought we'd have a hardy 'ole hug. Did you forget that you were an asshole to me?!" I stepped in front of Myles.

"Look, I just wanted to talk. There are more important things to worry about now, Mason."

"Humph! I'm surprise you even knew my name. I thought I was only a baby-making factory. Isn't that what you said?" I spewed out with bitterness.

He sighed, "I know I hurt you."

"You hit me! Of course you hurt me," I retorted. "Why are you here Connor?!"

I could hear a low growl behind me. Myles was getting upset. "Who is he Mason?"

"He's nobody," I blatantly said in Connor's face. "Leave!"

"Please," he took a deep breath. "I just need to talk to you. It's about your friend Angela."

"What? How do you even know that we were friends?" I asked curiously. "I haven't seen her in a very long time. There is no way you could have known."

"Well I do know. After all, I am the guy that helped Noah get her out," he retorted. "We got her back home, but now she's missing. No one knows where she is. Her mom wanted to hide her and it worked for a little while, but the council guards were getting closer so we brought her here. This is where Noah was going to bring you too until all that shit happened. And now it's been a month and I haven't heard anything from her. I'm only coming to you because I know you two were friends."

"Wait. Noah came to you? Why?" I asked even more confused than before. "The last time I saw you two together, he was kicking your ass."

He cleared his throat, "he wasn't kicking my ass and we got over our differences. He was going to put in a good word for me to the Council Guards. He knew I wanted to become one."

I scoffed. Why anyone would want to be one, I don't know. They were almost as bad as the Council, thinking they could do whatever they want to people. "Why does her reporting in matter to you?"

He cleared his throat again, "because I just wanted to make sure she was safe. She was pretty messed up when she left the academy. It took a while for her to even talk to her parents. When she did all hell broke loose. Her dad went after her mate with a rifle, almost blew his toe off."

Somehow that thought gave me comfort. The bastard deserved it.

I stood their processing what he had just said in a daze. "You like her, don't you?" Tears welled up in my eyes. I was just happy to hear that she was okay. After I treated Sammy the way I did, I figured I had no more friends, that they were all as good as dead and so was I.

He took a long pause before answering, "Yes. But she's missing and I need you to help me find her."

"How in the hell am I supposed to do that? Float on my magic fucking carpet? Why should I, even if I can. I've seen how you handled women. You're not good at it. Maybe she doesn't want to talk to you. Maybe she's seen the real you."

Connor clenched his jaw, "That's not it!" He shouted and Myles growled again. "Look, we always send each other letters. This is unusual. Something has happened to her, I know it."

"Then go tell Daniel! I can't help you."

"Don't you think I have? He doesn't want to cause any more deaths because of one girl. She's not significant to him. He has hundreds of other people to look after. I need someone to come above ground with me."

"Sorry, she can't," Benny stood in the doorway. "She promised Daniel she's stay here for a few weeks."

"Was anybody talking to you?" Connor said viciously. "This isn't about you. It's about one of her friends. One of her same friends that she almost got killed." He turned around to me, "you owe her Mason."

That was like a slap in the face. I know what I did and not a day goes by that I don't think about it. For crap sake, I saw Jillian's decaying corpse in a mirror. I don't just think about it anymore, I'm haunted by it.

"What do you want me to do?" I asked.

"Just come help me look above ground for a few days. She couldn't have gone that far. The Council Guards are enclose on this area above ground. They don't know that we are down here, that's our advantage.

"There is no way in hell that I am letting her leave with you. Mason will stay here. I do not trust you with her. Don't think I missed that part about you hitting her," Myles interjected.

"Myles," I looked up at him, "I have to do this. Angela was one of my best friends and I couldn't save her then, but I want to now. I want her to know that I haven't given up on her. I want to see her again, the way she used to be."

"I've known her longer," Connor said and I gave him a sharp look.

"Don't push it."

"Fine Mason, I won't argue with you but I can't let you go either. I will go. I have been trying to protect you and you just won't let me. Well let me do this instead. I'll bring your friend back."

"Myles," I began to say something until he cut me off.

"Please don't," he replied.

"Okay then, but you have to promise me that you'll come back to me."

"Just wait for me," he smiled.

I nodded.

"Well you two better find the best way to get out without alerting people. Daniel will have both of your asses if you bring the guards here," Benny replied. "Got it?"

"Got it," they both said in unison.

"You both should probably get some extra clothes and food."

"You ready?" Connor asked Myles.

"Always," he replied giving me a lopsided smile. And just as he was about to leave, he turned around and gave me a kiss. And it wasn't a peck, it was territorial. I was going to alone with these people for a while.