We Will be Okay

Summary: Arthur has received some bad news and he has no idea how he is going to tell you. The last thing he wants is to disappoint you.

Word Count: 1100

Arthur's foot bounced up and down nervously as he rode the shaky elevator up to the floor that his apartment was on. He was beyond nervous, how could he tell you what happened? How would you react? Would you be mad? Upset? Disappointed? Would you leave him? God, of course you would. He was useless, couldn't even keep a job. You deserved better than that.

Hesitantly, Arthur walked down the hallway and towards his apartment door. He just stared at the door, he couldn't wait too long or you would start to worry but he didn't want to tell you the truth either.

After, what felt like, an eternity Arthur unlocked the door and stepped into the apartment, closing it behind him.

-----

When you heard the front door open and close a smile spread across your face, Arthur was home! You stood from the couch and walked over to greet him like you usually would. Your smile faded slightly when you saw his face, something was wrong and you knew it.

You didn't get a chance to ask him what happened or say anything at all for that matter. As soon as Arthur saw you, he walked up to you and cupped your face in his hands. His lips were on yours in a matter of seconds, his body pressing against yours as he backed you up against the wall.

You instantly kissed him back on instinct but you knew that you should stop him. Part of you wanted to see where this would go by the other part of you knew that something was wrong, you knew that he was trying to distract you from something.

Placing your hands on his shoulders, you gently pushed Arthur away from you. It didn't take much to get him to pull away from you.

"Arthur, what's wrong?" you asked but Arthur didn't answer you, he just looked down at his feet. You knew that he was ashamed about something. "Arthur, it's okay. You can tell me" you reminded him that he could talk to you about anything as you cupped his face in your hands and made him look at you.

You couldn't help but frown at his reaction.

Arthur's lips were pressed into a tight smile and you could see his throat convulsing slightly, you knew what was about to happened and you wished that you could stop it but it was never that easy. He brought one of his hands up to his throat, wrapping his hand around it gently as if that would stop it from happening.

"It's okay" you assure him as you took his hands in yours, giving them a reassuring squeeze.

That's when it happened. Arthur burst out in uncontrollable laughter. Normally you loved hearing Arthur laugh but this was nothing like his real laugh. You could see the pain on his face, it hurt him and it hurt you to see him like this.

"Shush, it's alright, I've got you" you assured him, letting him rest his forehead against your shoulder as you ran your fingers through his hair.

Arthur's entire body was shaking and his hands came to your waist, gripping the material of your shirt in his fists. You just silently soothed him as you waited for his laughing to come to a stop. Thankfully it did after not too long.

"I'm sorry" Arthur mumbled, shaking his head slightly while his forehead was still pressed to your shoulder.

"It's alright, you have nothing to apologise for. Just tell me what happened, let me help" you encouraged, wanting to help him with whatever was happening.

"I messed up" Arthur told you, his voice still a mumble.

"Everyone messes up sometimes, it's not the end of the world. What happened?" you reassured him before trying to get him to explain further.

"Hoyt fired me" he sighed. Okay, now you understood why he was so reluctant to tell you.

"Oh sweetie, I'm sorry. I know how much you liked that job but it's going to be okay. Why did he fire you?" you asked, continuing to run your fingers through his hair as he turned his head to press his face into your neck.

"You know that gu-gun that Randall gave me?" Arthur asked, his arms slowly wrapping around your waist as he let go of the material of your shirt.

"Yeah?..." you asked, wondering where this was going. When Randall gave Arthur the gun, Arthur told you immediately. You weren't sure how to feel about it, you didn't trust Randall but you knew that Gotham was a dangerous place and having a gun wasn't really a bad idea, you just hoped that Arthur would never use it.

"I had a job at the children's hospital and it fell out of my pocket during my act" he explained. Oh yeah, you can see why that might get him fired...

"Oh...alright, it's alright. It was an accident, I know that you wouldn't do anything like that on purpose. Hoyt knows that too...I'm sorry, Arthur" you sighed before pressing a kiss to the top of his head.

"You deserve better, you deserve somebody who can provide, somebody who can keep a damn job" Arthur huffed as he pulled away from you, completely unwrapping his arms from your waist and stepping back. You could tell that he was getting angry, more at himself than anything.

"Arthur, listen to me" you spoke softly as you cupped his face in your hands again, brushing your thumbs over his cheeks. "I love you and we will be alright. I have a job so we still have enough money, you don't have to worry about that" you assured him, you didn't want him to worry about anything.

"But..." Arthur started but you didn't let him go off on a self deprecating tangent.

"I don't care about you having a job or anything like that. I don't want money or somebody else. I just want you and for you to be happy. No matter what, I love you. We will figure it out, we will be okay" you assured him, not letting him argue with you about this.

"Promise?" Arthur asked, looking at you with those deep sad eyes.

"I promise" you nodded with a smile.

"I love you" Arthur murmured as he lent down to rest his forehead against your own, his arms loosely wrapping around your waist once again.

"I love you too" you pressed a kiss to the corner of his mouth before pulling him into a hug. Arthur's face instantly found the crook of your neck while you rested your head on top of his. You always made Arthur feel safe and secure, when he was in your arms he felt like nothing bad could touch him.

Arthur hated feeling like a burden but he knew that you would make things better, you always did. You would fix things because that's what you always did. No matter what, you seemed to make things okay.