Chapter 2

"Huh? How do you know my name?" I said. A black fox with white ears, white paws, and a white tail tip walked up to me. 

"Hi, I'm Twilight. You must be the shapeshifter we've been expecting. You must be confused," she said.

"Uh, yeah. Can you explain what's going on?" I asked.

"Sure, so you know you're a shapeshifter already, right?"

"I guess..."

"Ok, so this means you were born with a gift from an ancient being in the form of a fox called Starlight."

"Ok..."

"She is the light you see from the sky. She comes in many forms like death. She can be like a star, bright and glorious, or dark and mysterious with wonder."

I was kinda starting to get it but I still didn't know why I was there in the first place.

"Don't worry. You'll soon learn to live the way we do," she replied. Oh god, now she was starting to scare me.

"Oh, you must be wondering how I'm responding to you're thoughts. I'm just learning to do that so I accidentally think you spoke instead of thought. It's a talent any gifted young one like you can learn within time. Did a fox do that to you too?" she asked.

"Oh, um, yeah. There was this beautiful fox with a flaming pelt that did that. But then she left after she said to be careful."

I don't know what I said, but I guess I said something to surprise Twilight. She was looking shocked after I described the mysterious vixen that lead me to this even more mysterious place.

"That sounds like... wait no, it can't be!"

"Huh?"

"Oh, nothing! It's just she sounds so familiar to this fox I've heard about in the past... I'm just wondering, how did she disappear?"

"Um, she like disappeared in mist and... I think firelight."

This shocked her the most. She looked as if she's heard of ghost coming back to life. Maybe from her perspective, something like that did. It gave me the shivers just thinking about that.

"No, no, that can't be possible. I thought Firelight was dead. Shadow saw her die! That can't be right..." she murmured.

"Shadow? I've heard of him. She mentioned him. Something about Shadow not listening to her..."

"Huh?? How? Only me and Firelight know about him. He's considered a 'danger' in the forest, so we protect him. He is quite something..." she said. Even thought she was trying to hide it, I could notice she was lightly blushing.

I think she noticed me staring at her because she then said, "Anyway! Enough of that! Let's get to know each other. As you know, I'm Twilight. I know you're Jenny. I was one of the gifted ones too! I don't know why they picked me but I'm glad they did! I was just a regular o' dog. To be honest it was boring but now it's not! How about you?"

"Oh, me? Um, I was a normal person when I was 'brought' here. I don't know anything else really other than I kinda enjoyed life before. Now, well, I'm kinda scared," I said.

"Well, don't be! This will be so fun! We'll be able to explore together! Now I'll be less lonely and you won't have to go through this alone!"

I didn't mind that idea and she seems fun to be around. I thought maybe it was just destiny that brought me and I should just go with the flow. Maybe I'll find a happy life here too. But a part of me just wishes I could go back home....