Chapter Twenty-Seven

Last lesson on a Friday and we getting changed in the changing rooms for PE, everyone was on a high because it was the last day of term which meant everyone was off school for one week.

“Miss Carr isn’t here.” Megan came in and told her friend

“Yesss I hope we have Mr Bates again.” Vicky replied enthusiastically. I eavesdropped their conversation and hoped the complete opposite, I always make an idiot out of myself in PE the last thing I need is him seeing that.

“You ready?”

“Yeah hang on let me just take my earrings and bracelet off,” I quickly removed the studs from my ears then attempted to unclasp the latch on the bracelet.

“It won’t undo.” I growled with annoyance after four attempts of trying to undo the bracelet

“Let me have a go at it,” Ellie tried using her nails to get it off. There was only me, Ellie and another two girls left as all the rest had gone into the sports hall

“Flipping thing.” she sighed “Just wear your tracksuit hoodie it will cover up your wrist.”

I snatched my hoodie from the bench on my way out and joined the rest of the class in the sports hall.

When me and Ellie got through the door Jared was sitting on the bench at the side wearing a black t-shirt and jogging bottoms. The t-shirt gripped to his chest showing his muscular form, I was beginning to realise I was becoming like all the rest of the girls that had a crush on him. However I’m going to admit it now, I do have a crush on him, who doesn’t, and it’s only a crush it’s not like I’m in love with him. When I saw the badminton nets up it lifted my spirits, I absolutely love badminton and used to be in the school team. I had to give it up because they had practise twice a week and I needed the time to do work.

“Hi Sir.” a few girls greeted him as they batted their eyelashes and giggled, he looked up from the clipboard and gave them a kind smile.

“Right girls pair up and get playing, the shuttlecocks and rackets are in the cupboard.” the badminton nets were already set up stretching from one end of the hall to the other.

Appearing from the PE cupboard with a racket and shuttlecock I noticed Jared was playing at the other end of the hall with Chelsea, there was an odd number of girls in the class so I guess he volunteered to pair up with her.

Ellie lazily picked the shuttle up from the floor

“What’s wrong?”

“I’m exhausted, you’re too good at this.” she whined, for the last forty minutes I’d been playing against her. I’d won all the games and she seemed to be completely worn out

“Ellie would you like to swap and play with Chealsea? She’s more suited to your skill level.” his voice came from behind me, I stared at Ellie on the other side of the net with wide eyes as if to say ‘don’t you dare’

“Yes that’s a good idea, maybe you’ll be the first to beat Amy” she agreed to his proposition...I am going to kill her after school.

“Don’t worry I’ll go easy on you.” he said only loud enough for only me to hear as he took his position.

I gently served trying to work out how good he is but it turns out he is as good as, if not better, than me. As we got into the game it got more heated, the shuttle was constantly traveling back and forth at high speed. Playing was Ellie was fine but just once in a while I wanted to play against someone who’s a little more of a challenge to beat. Maybe if he sees my competitive side it’ll put him off me a bit. I hit the shuttle as hard as I could but he didn’t seem to be phased in returning it, back and forth, back and forth the shuttle went for ten minutes without touching the floor. Amy 0-Jared 0