Chapter Thirty-Nine

Chapter Thirty-Nine

The night I spent with Amy was the best night of my life, she drives me crazy like no other girl has. I don’t know how she’s going to cope with me just vanishing and I’ve been debating with myself whether I should tell her or not. I paced my kitchen thinking and I couldn’t just go without telling Amy what is going to happen to me. She has the right to know or she’ll spend the rest of her life thinking I’m still alive and I just used her then abandoned her. She’s going to hate me forever that I’ve waited until my last day alive to tell her. Truthfully I was petrified about dying, I’ve been waiting for over one thousand years for today. Every single day when I wake up I count down another day five hundred years left to live, four hundred years left to live…I’m like a ticking time bomb.

December 21st 2012

I sat in the living room catching up on some revision and coursework watching the TV when the front door burst open. I jumped out of my seat to see Jared looking panicked pacing towards me.

“Listen to me Amy,” he held my face in his hands as I stared at him numbly “I’m sorry I’ve put you though all of this, as soon as I started feeling this way I should’ve left and never looked back because I’m hurting you and that’s exactly what I didn’t want.” my eyes shot back and forth between his with confusion “You know what I am and you know my history but I didn’t tell you everything. The curse that lives in my stops at the end of the Mayan Calendar,” he stroked my hair therapeutically trying to keep me calm “I’m not saying the world is ending but according to the ancient Maya calendar it should end tonight at eleven past eleven.”

“I-I’ve heard about the world ending and the calendar but what’s it got to do with you? l-like you said the world isn’t going to end,” I stuttered in panic.

“I know, I know but the curse will end then- think of it as a contract. When you get a phone on contract it ends on a certain date. Amy…this curse will end at eleven past eleven tonight,” he finished breathlessly staring into my eyes. I squinted with confusion. The curse is inside him; before he got it he was a normal person…So the curse ends…he’ll end? My eyes snapped wide with realisation, he read my expression “I’m dying as we speak,” he whispered with sorrow in his eyes.

“No. No you’re not” I shook my head with disbelief as I pushed his hands off my face “Like you said the world’s not going to end it’s just a myth-“ I paced the living room.

“And so am I…this thing inside me is a myth.”

“Bullshit. Absolute bullshit you are not dying!” my hands hand’s broke out in a cold sweat, my heart thumped against my ribcage. A large masculine hand gripped my wrist spinning me around.

“Listen to me Amy. You don’t need me, your life was perfect before I even turned up. You’re going to do brilliant in your exams get into University and be the best doctor known to man.”

“Stop it,” I whimpered. It sounded exactly like what Lizzy told me before she died.

“Shhh listen, I’m not going to be here to look over and protect you but you’re more sensible than the whole of your class put together so I have no doubt you’ll be fine. I just wish we met under normal circumstances because I would devote my whole life to protecting you and making you happy.”

I blinked and my eyes unloaded the tears letting them trickle down my face. I couldn’t speak I was just completely numb. “I love you so much,” his eyes were soft as he gazed at me “It hurts but I have to say goodbye.” He gave me a weak smile before gently wiping my tears away with his thumb. This is the last time I will ever see him or hear his voice “Come here,” he whispered before pulling me in for a hug, I buried my head in his chest sobbing my heart out wishing, praying for a miracle to happen. He is my first kiss and the person who I gave my virginity to. My first and only love. I inhaled deeply smelling his scent latching onto it, trying to plant the smell in my head as a memory.