Chapter Thirty-Seven

“Amy?” A whisper disrupted my peaceful sleep. I groaned in response, what day is it? Monday! Oh crap I’ve got to get to school.

“What’s the time…school,” I moaned still half asleep.

“You’re staying here today and so am I, one day off won’t hurt.”

“You don’t need to worry about me I’m fine you go to work.” I said groggily poking my head out of the duvet. He stared at me with raised eyebrows “Honestly I won’t be doing anything interesting, just sleeping.” I assured him.

“Alright, you’ve got my number if you need me. Call me and I will be back here in a shot okay.”

I hadn’t had a single day off school in two years but knowing it was Monday and the fact that I was so tired persuaded me to choose this bed over getting up in this cold November morning.

When I finally managed to haul myself out of my deep sleep I didn’t know what to do. I’d been left in his house all on my own, I felt a strong urge to get up and explore but that would just be rude and nosy. As I was getting changed I noticed my bracelet was back on my wrist where it belongs, I smiled at the thought of Jared being there to protect me.

Everything I have been through over the past two years (or near enough) my parents haven’t been there to support me. I know they’re a phone call away but it’s not the same as coming home to find them there asking how your day was. I speak to Mum and Dad a couple of times a week, the last time being last Thursday. They’ve told me that my nanny was getting worse but obviously I haven’t seen here for years on end so I don’t really know how bad she was.

I groggily woke up at eleven which is probably the latest I have ever got up, I’d left a not to Jared saying thank you for letting me stay over. This morning I actually thought what happened yesterday was a dream. As soon as I got home I called my mum in Australia.

“Mum it’s me can I come over and see you? You’d better say yes before I change my mind.”
“Of course darling you’re welcome anytime. I think you’d better see your nan…she’s not too well.”

“Right well I’ll get a ticket for tomorrow and should be with you by Wednesday night. I’ll call the school and ask for a week’s holiday I’ll say it’s a family emergency. I can’t wait to see you.” I squeaked in excitement.

“Have a safe flight and I’ll see you soon. Love you.”
“Love you too, bye.”

The whole time I was still thinking about how much work I will miss having one week off school, I’m sure I’ll catch up and if I ask Jared nicely he might help me. I retrieved a large suitcase from the loft and spent over an hour sitting in my bedroom decided what to take then folding it neatly into my luggage. I called the head of sixth form at school and told him I need two weeks off because I needed to see my family and he was very understanding because he was aware I hadn’t seen my parents in nearly two years and I told him about the condition my nanny was in. I was only staying in Australia for one week but the flight time there and back is just under forty-four hours.

Before I knew it, it was four o’clock and Amy was knocking on my door.

“What’s wrong? You weren’t at school today, what happened with Mr Bates?” she asked wide eyed barging past me and making herself comfortable on my sofa.

“Urgh it’s a very long story…and when I say long I mean one thousand years long,” she looked at me confused.

I talked non-stop for about an hour and Ellie sat absorbed in the story like I was when Jared had told me. She couldn’t believe any of it.