The Curse Breaker and the Archaeologist

A bit of Indiana Jones inspiration...

I quite clearly remember the moment I told Ron and Mione that I'd resigned from the Auror Department. As I stepped out of the Floo system into Grimmauld Place, I announced 'I did it!' before slumping down onto the settee opposite Mione and Ron. 'I quit!' I said with glee.

Of course, I totally ignored the fact the Mione was trying to discreetly rebutton her blouse and that Ron was rather red-faced after springing apart from his girlfriend as if he'd just been hit with a Stinging Jinx.

'Isn't it a bit rushed, Harry?' Ron had spluttered.

I held my face deadly straight, trying not to laugh at his flustered appearance. Auror training was good for several things, including knowing when to hold a game-face to melt your opponent into oblivion. Mine was particularly good and I got Ron every time.

'Ron,' I groaned with exasperation, 'I've been talking about quitting since the day I finished training. It's alright for you, you really suit being an Auror, in every sense. It's like you've come home. I mean, look at you for a start. Mione can barely keep her hands off you. And you've got the patience for it and you're good with people. You even enjoy the stake-outs and everyone wants to partner you on the new jobs that come in.'

Ron had visibly teemed with pride at the compliments, I loved lulling him into a false sense of security. Mione was blushing furiously because I'd called her out on molesting him on my sofa.

It was true, Ron did suit the job. His tall frame had bulked up from the physical training so he stood as a tall broad-shouldered solid sort of attractive man. Not that I was looking at my best friend in that kind of way. And he just seemed to understand people. He had an inherent skill at working out where people were, what they were doing, and when they were about to do something, particularly when they were about to do something stupid. Hell, he'd shown that when he managed to track down me and Mione in the middle of nowhere in our seventh year when the entire Ministry and Voldemort's Death-eaters and Snatchers couldn't do that. Actually, I'm not entirely sure that Dumbledore's 'Deluminator' didn't have something to do with it all, even now. And even though Ron was inevitably the harbinger of doom for the criminals that he caught, somehow, they all loved him as much as the Auror team did. Ron had a way with people. Of course, it's served him well and I'm not surprised that he's now made his way up through the ranks. I suspect it won't be long before they make him Head Auror and he deserves it.

Whereas, for me, well, admittedly the physical side of the job suited me and I loved it but in an entirely different way to Ron: I'd become toned into a lean-muscled sinewy man, ripped beyond my dreams but not bulky with it. But there were too many negatives for me to being an Auror. I hated the stake-outs. Mostly because I'm not really very good at sitting still for long periods of time and I'd start to fidget, which would inevitably wind up whichever partner I was working with. And the paperwork, Merlin, I hated the paperwork, especially writing up reports, it was a Dark Art that Ron seemed to mastered, which was amazing considering his track record with homework. And perhaps the biggest 'but', considering the job, was I just don't understand people. I guess that maybe it's something to do with the Dursleys, I mean they're enough to confuse any poor sod about human behaviour and the motives behind it. People! The Auror team was bad enough, they'd all tiptoe around me, apart from Ron of course, but the other Aurors seemed a bit intimidated by the 'Saviour of the Wizarding World', and as for the 'bad guys', Merlin, the name 'Mundungus Fletcher' alone was enough to make me want to perform a self-lobotomy with a rusty spoon. I just didn't like dealing with people, I'd be quite happy never to have to deal with people ever again, ever.

'Does that mean you got the job?' Mione asked.

'What job?'

'With the Curse-Breakers at Gringotts.'