Chapter Eight

I am so sorry it took me forever to update this! I had gotten busy with Life and then I forgot what I wanted to happen with this story but now I remember and yeeee. Anyways, here is the very long overdue update. Enjoy!

The next few days of school were uneventful. The following Saturday, however, was very eventful, starting from the moment Damian opened his eyes to see Helena going through his closet. He peered lazily at her, thinking perhaps he may still be dreaming until she turned around and tossed a handful of clothes at him, a coat hanger landing on his face and poking him in the eye.

"Ow!"

"Oh, sorry! I forgot you were still sleeping." Helena looked embarrassed, quickly gathering the clothes off her brother and placing them on the chair instead.

"How does that excuse you tossing clothes on me?" Damian almost whined, rubbing his eye.

"You're right, it doesn't, sorry." Helena sheepishly rubbed the back of her neck before remembering her purpose for being in the room. "Come on, since you're awake, up and at them. We need to find you a suitable outfit for tonight."

"What's tonight?" Damian grumbled, sitting up in his bed.

"The gala for the retiring mayor, remember? We all have to attend, dad's orders." Damian huffed. "I know, but this is a good way to get your feet wet into Gotham culture. At least we aren't hosting it, this time."

Damian got out of bed and walked over to the chair that was piled high with his nicest clothes, Helena already sifting through them. He watched as she divided the clothes into three piles, curious as to what she was doing. She picked up one of the piles and hung all the clothes back in the closet before turning around to face Damian, eyeing him for a second before muttering under her breath. "This is going to take all of us." She pulled out her phone and typed rapidly for a moment and a minute later all of the siblings piled into Damian's room, taking up various seats on his furniture. Helena clapped her hands once, gesturing to the two piles. "So, this pile is the 'maybe' pile and this is the 'leaning more towards yes' pile. Thoughts?"

Dick slid off the desk and walked over to the piles, lifting up the items of clothing to show to his siblings one at a time. They all either gave a thumbs up or a thumbs down and majority rules worked here, so Dick would hand the item to Helena if it got voted out to hang back in the closet.

Damian made eye contact with Jason as the rest of their siblings broke into an argument over a garnet colored dress shirt, whether that was 'too sophisticated' for the twelve year old or not. Jason shook his head with a bemused smirk, watching as Stephanie counted on her fingers the reasons the color would work with Damian and 'the energy' he gave off.

"Guys, guys!" Tim half yelled, gaining the attention of the family as he held up a simple green shirt with a suit jacket and dress pants combo. "Why not go with this?"

The siblings all exchanged a look amongst themselves before a low murmuring broke out for a moment. A unanimous nod of approval went through the gathering. Damian huffed. "Don't I get a say in this?"

All the siblings broke out in chuckles. "No, you're the youngest. Youngest never gets a say."

Damian whined and Jason elbowed him softly in the ribs. "I've been telling you this for years." All eyes turned to Jason and he gulped. "What?"

"Do you have something to wear?" Cassandra asked, already walking towards the door with her siblings in tow.

"Wait, wait, wait. You are not going through my closet!" Jason called after them, chasing his siblings as Damian cackled, running after the group to watch his brother go through the same process.

- - -

At the time of the gala, the siblings all made their way down stairs to the waiting limousine. Bruce and Selina smiled at Jason and Damian as Jason fixed his brother's hair. They led the group into the limousine, everyone being extra cautious not to wrinkle or ruin their nice clothing.

Once everyone was settled and the vehicle was moving, Bruce addressed his family. "I really appreciate all of you coming tonight. I know there are a million places you'd rather be than with Gotham socialites."

"You can say that again." Cassandra muttered, arms crossed over her black dress.

Bruce smirked. "I-"

"God, you are such a dad." Barbara half groaned, making Bruce and Selina chuckle.

The rest of the ride was spent in silence as everyone prepared themselves for the night ahead. It wasn't long before the limo pulled up in front of the venue where the gala was being held. Alfred walked around and opened the door for the family, Bruce stepping out first and helping out Selina, then his children.

The family made their way up the steps towards the door, photographers taking photos of them along the way. Barbara and Tim noticed Jason and Damian's discomfort and nonchalantly moved them to the center of the group, protecting them from the ridiculing stares of the Gotham dwellers. Jason sent the two of them a grateful smile, trying his best to shield Damian from the photographers.

Soon, the family was inside and the flashes stopped. Jason and Damian sighed inaudible sighs of relief. They turned to their siblings for direction on what to do only to see them being whisked away by Gotham's elite. Helena and Stephanie sent them apologetic looks before turning back to their company.

Jason looked around for his father and Selina, only to see they, too, were chatting with socialites. Jason grabbed Damian's hand and tugged him towards a corner table, taking a seat after grabbing a drink off one of the waiter's trays. He downed it one gulp, much to the shock of Damian. "Ja-"

"So much for a united front." Jason spat, glaring at nothing in particular.

Damian wasn't sure how to reply, so he said nothing. The two brothers sat in the corner in silence, Jason glowering while Damian fidgeted with his sleeves. Jason didn't even break his glare to answer his phone when it rang. "Are you going to-? No, okay. I will."

Damian reached for Jason's phone, which rested on the table, only for his brother to grunt and snatch it away, answering it. "Hello?"

Damian felt his heart rate spike as he recognized the voice on the other side of the line, a voice he knew better than his own.

"Hello, my son."