The Calm Before The Storm

The sounds of two swords clashing filled the semi-large open field.

The ground underneath the Ninja sparring was heavily burned, the result of the Fire Techniques used.

The fully matured Sharingan in the left eye of the older Ninja stared at the fully matured Sharingan that belonged to the ten-year-old Yūrei.

Noticing the heavy breathing pattern belonging to Yūrei, the gray-haired Ninja pulled his sword back and made the Seal of Reconciliation.

Noticing the older Ninja ended the spar, Yūrei made the same Seal while placing his tanto in the scabbard on his back.

"I think that's enough for today, Yūrei. You know, I'm finally starting to see why they let you graduate early."

"Arigatou, Kakashi-Sensei."

A long sigh drawled out of the mouth of the older Ninja.

"How many times do I have to say I'm not your Sensei. It makes me feel old, plus, I'm still an active ANBU member. It's time for me to go now, I have a longer mission so you probably won't see me for a few days. Say hi to Anna for me."

"I will, good luck on your mission, Kakashi-San."

"Now that's better, Ja Ne."

Disappearing in a swirl of leaves, Kakashi left the young boy alone in the scorched field.

It had been two years since the incident with Anna and her father happened, and ever since then, Anna lived with Yūrei in his new home.

Looking around, Yūrei's thoughts flashed to all that lead him to his current situation.

Flashback - Two Years Ago

"Come in."

The strong voice of the Third Hokage, Hiruzen Sarutobi, called out to the person knocking on his door.

Yūrei entered the office, still in thought as to what the Hokage would call him for.

Seeing nothing out of the ordinary, except the Hokage not peeking above a pile of paperwork, Yūrei approached the desk of the leader of the Hidden Leaf Village.

"Hokage-Sama, an ANBU member said that you wished to speak to me."

"Indeed I do, Yūrei-Kun. I even postponed a few meetings for this occasion."

"I'm sorry, Hokage-Sama."

"Don't be child, you have nothing to be sorry for. Now, how has Anna-Chan been? It's been about a month and a half since her father was arrested."

"She hasn't been the best, Lord Third. Ever since she moved in with me she refused to go on a mission. She refuses to even go outside. Also, she appears to have trouble sleeping. I've had to calm her down a few times per night because of her nightmares."

"And did you try anything to help her deal with those problems?"

"No, Hokage-Sama. I don't want to push her and make her uncomfortable."

"As much as I don't like to say it, you didn't have the best childhood either. Maybe you can use that to help her crack out of her shell."

"Maybe I can. After all, I still haven't told her about my brother."

"And I assume the negative thoughts and dreams still plague you?"

The stiff nod from Yūrei dropped the Hokage's gaze onto his table.