[ old friends ]

I walked out of Tukson's Book Trade after finishing up some buisness there, and put back on my sweet clumsy act. While walking down the side walk away from the store, I had accidentally bump into two people semi-on purpose. The girl adorned bright green hair and crimson red eyes while the boy had silver hair and dark gray eyes. They seemed... familiar but I didn't have the time to recall from where. "Oh my god, I am so sorry! I wasn't watching where I was going and—"

"It's alright. No harm done."

"You seem kinda lost. Need any help?" I offered, not out of the kindness of my heart but more to see if I could steal anything off of them.

"Actually, that would be great. We're looking for Tukson's Book Trade." The green haired girl responded with kindness as fake as mine while her friend just... stared at the interaction.

"Sure thing! Not sure if he's open, but it's right down that way, walk straight then take a left and you should see it."

"Thanks a lot, I owe you one!" I nodded with a feigned sheepish smile, shoving my way between them and walking away, still hearing their bickering from down the street. After the two were definitely out of sight I pulled out two wallets from my pockets. They may not have noticed that their wallets were in my possession, but I was definitely aware that mine was in theirs.

Small Time Skip

I had to sneak into my office and quickly pull off the wig I used. carefully removing my colored contact lenses so if anyone opened the door it wouldn't be obvious I had been out as I didn't feel like using my semblance. Then I changed back into my normal outfit to add to the casualness. Right as I was about to sit and play on my scroll, my dad called for me to come to him from across the warehouse. So, I put down the device and headed towards where he normally spent his days. With his precious stolen dust crates.

As I entered the room, I noticed the people that I had run into earlier in the day on the streets of Vale, quickly putting two and two together. 'Wait, that's Emerald and Mercury! I knew I recognized them from somewhere' were my exact thoughts in that moment.

"Yes~?"

    "(Y/n), did you go behind our backs and eliminate the would-be runaway for me?" My dad questioned me while twirling my wallet in his hand.

"Someone had to." I responded bluntly as I took Emerald and Mercury's wallets out of my pocket.

"Hey! When did you-?"

    "Like this, 'Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry!'" Their mouths opened so wide they might as well've been hitting the floor. Which prompted me to grab my wallet from my dad before tossing Emerald and Mercury theirs.

"I thought I had told you to stay put, (y/n)."

    "Well, you see, I was going  to do that. But~, then I thought about it and killing the would-be runaway would be way more fun. And I was right, it totally was." She starts walking towards me with the hardest glare she could muster up while I held my smirk, not even flinching. She wasn't talking so I filled the eery silence.

"Listen Cinder, you may be able to control what Emerald and Mercury do - maybe even my father - but you cannot control me. And if you think I'm scared of you, you're dead wrong." And with those words, I walked back to my room.

Roman's POV

  As my daughter walks away, presumably back to her office, Cinder walks toward me. "Did you never teach your daughter manners?" My boss asked coldly.

    "Well, um, her mom used to take care of that before she passed."

"Then go, and teach her respect. And if she gives me one more smart ass comment, you know what will happen." Her eyes began to glow as she spoke, causing me to gulp.

    "Of-of course."

Once I reached my destination of (y/n)'s temporary room/office, I knocked on the door and awaited the usual 'come in'. Instead, I heard footsteps and the door slammed open to reveal (y/n) with hands on her hips.

    "Yes Dad?" Her hands here planted on her hips and one eyebrow was raised questioningly.

"I uh came to talk to you.." I trailed off, not knowing how to word what I had wanted say. My daughter stepped out of the way, motioning me to come in before slamming the door shut behind me. "Umm.. I uh—"

"Let me stop you right there. Cinder sent you to 'discipline' me, didn't she?"

"Yeah. And I need you to respect her more if you don't want me fired and yourself killed." I responded harshly, causing her to burst out laughing, wiping a few tears from her eyes before speaking again.

"Pfft! Yeah, I'm soooo scared!"

"You should be! You're no where near ready to win against her on your own!" I yelled at (y/n), her stepping back with a genuinely shocked expression on her face. "(Y/n) you don't understand, I didn't—"

"Oh I understood you plenty! You think I'm weak, that's it." My daughter glared at me harsher than she ever had before.

    "You know damn well that's not what I meant! You're just not strong enough to face someone as powerful as her and you know that!"

She gave no reply or acknowledgement to my words other than a scream in frustration and the next thing I knew, she had disappeared from sight along with the majority of her belongings....

Reader's POV

After I screamed, I used my semblance to stop time and packed all my things in the office into a duffel bag, then jumped out the window. After I was far enough away from the HQ I unfroze time and continued walking in the shadows with my hood up, heading back home to pack up the rest of my necessary belongings from home.

I needed to go somewhere where no one would know me or my past, where I would be able to become stronger and prove to my father that I am much more capable than he believes.

And I knew the perfect place for that...