[ missions and memories ]

"Hey, uh, (y/n)! You should totally come with us to the library after classes are over! We're gonna play a board game and I feel like you'd be super good at it and it would be so much more fun with you there!"

"Sorry, I actually have some classes to study for..."

"Aww, that sucks..."

"But, it wouldn't hurt to join you after I'm done, right?"

"Definitely not! Uh, I mean definitely! Wait is that um, hey stop laughing you know what I mean!"

I reflected on the conversation that had taken place between Ruby and I after one of our classes as I neared the library after all my studying was complete. It hadn't gotten very late yet, so I wasn't too worried on whether they'd be there still or not, especially since Ruby reassured me that they would await my arrival before even considering returning to their dorm. Which was a sweet gesture to say the least.

Now that I had thought about it, Ruby was the closest thing to a friend I had since Emerald and Mercury, and I hadn't been able to spend time and bond with them for almost a year because of how busy they had become with all of Cinder's missions for them. I shook my head as memories with the pair began to flood my mind, trying to stay focused on where I was walking.

"Come on (n/n), can you lend me some lien just this one time? I promise I'll pay you back."

"Merc. That's what you say last time, and the time before that, and the time before that. Go ask Emerald for lien if you're so desperate."

"You really think she'll lend me money?"

"... touché."

"Come on please!"

"Ugh, fine. But if you don't repay me by next week I get to steal one of your metal legs for a day."

"Deal, thanks (n/n), you're the best."

"Yeah yeah, stop sucking up to me and just take my money, okay?"

Thankfully, once that memory finished playing through my mind, I had finally arrived at the library and had something to distract myself with. AKA, the familiar shouts coming from inside that I could hear even through the heavy doors.

     "Uh, aren't libraries for reading?" I spotted a male with bright blue hair speaking with team RWBY, along with a blonde monkey faunus whom I recognized as the one from the docks months beforehand.

     "He's right ya know, you four should probably quiet down, I could hear you loud and clear from all the way in the halls."

     "(Y/n)! Finally!" Ruby yelled, getting shushed by multiple people directly after. "Eheh, sorry!"

     "I'm Neptune"

     "So, Neptune, where are you from?"

     "Haven, and I don't believe I've caught your name, snow angel."

     "Um... I'm Weiss"

     "Is he really flirting with ice queen?" Yang whispered to no one in particular as we all silently stared at the two.

     "I think so..."

     "He's smooth but at the same time... he doesn't even know the girl why is he flirting with her?"

     "Who knows at this point" Ruby, the monkey faunus and myself gave our quiet input on the awkward situation and stared unblinkingly at the pair before returning to our own conversations.

     Suddenly, Blake stood up from the table and walked away, leaving the rest of us confused as to what had happened to cause her to leave. Most of us looked to the blonde boy whom she had been speaking to, but he only shrugged in response.

     "Wait, who're you? I haven't seen you around before."

     "I'm (y/n). New transfer, and you?"

     "Sun, nice to meet ya."

      "Likewise.." I trailed off, not quite knowing whether or not to continue a conversation.

     "Well, (y/n), why don't you join us? You can use Blake's cards. You know how to play right?" Ruby attempted to ease the tension, gesturing to the now vacant seat.

     "I guess I'll give it a shot, I can't promise I'm any good though...

Short Time Skip...

     "Ugh, we should have never let you play!"

     "You're just mad cause the new girl beat you! See, if you had just attacked when I told you none of this would have happened."

     "Stop." This one word caused all eyes in the team RWBY dorm to turn towards where she was pointing, which was directly at Blake whom had been about to leave the dorm. This caused me to become mildly uncomfortable as I knew a lot of personal things were about to be brought up and I didn't want to feel like I was intruding.

     "Should I go?" I leaned over and whispered to Ruby.

     "Uh, probably yeah. Don't worry, we can play Uno some other time."

     "Get some rest Ruby." Right after those quiet words left my mouth, I stopped time and left the dorm, not starting it back up again until I closed the door and was walking towards my own. Not before taking a picture of Weiss frozen balanced on a chair pointing dramatically at Blake though of course.

     I attempted to not eavesdrop by reading a book, but the walls weren't exactly sound proof. So, when I heard my real last name soon after attempting to read, I couldn't help myself and sat next to the wall that connected our dorms.

     "Ozpin told us not to worry. Between the police and the Huntsmen, I'm sure they can handle it."

     "Well I'm not! They don't know the White Fang like I do."

     "..."

     "Ok, between blowing up night clubs, stopping thieves and fighting for freedom, I'm sure the three of you think you're all ready to go out and apprehend these ne'er-do-wells..."

     "Uh... who?"

     "But let me once again be the voice of reason, we're students. We're not ready to handle this sort of situation."

     "Well, yeah, but—"

     "We're not ready!"

     "And we may never be ready! Our enemies aren't just gonna sit around and wait for graduation day. They're out there, somewhere, planning their next move and none of us know what it is but it's coming! Whether we're ready, or not."

"Okay! All in favor of becoming the youngest huntresses to single handedly take down a corrupt organization conspiring against the kingdom of Vale... say aye!"

This is where I stopped listening in, and decided to instead write a note to myself...

Reminder: eavesdrop tomorrow to get more information on Team RWBY's plan
Side Note: don't forget NOT to wear your claws when spying on them dumbass