Chapter 2: Confusion

The man inside didn't look like the one who abused and tortured Muggles for fun, he looked like he was the one who was being tortured. His once silvery hair that shone whenever the light hit it right, now looked like a mop sitting on a pale head. Lucius had never had rosy cheeks and the like, as it was a Malfoy gene passed down the centuries, but instead of looking like its usual pale skin, he looked unhealthily so. Instead of revulsion at this man who killed your parents, you felt a spark of pity in you. Damn these protective instincts, you thought.
  "Mr Lucius Malfoy? I'm [y/n] and I've been sent by the Ministry of Magic to check on your wellbeing." You said, cautiously monitoring his reaction. He looked up slowly and you saw his eyes. They were still grey, like usual, but there seemed be something in those eyes, something never found in a Malfoy. It was fear.
"Someone sent you to check on me. I assume it has been the definition of chaos without me there to save their sorry souls?" Malfoy said, with a note in his voice that made you want to take a few steps back. You found that even when he looked sick and worn out, he still had that snide tone.
  Deciding to be honest with Malfoy (because you wanted to get this over and done with) you reply dryly, "Yes, Mr Malfoy, it certainly has. It would be most kind of you to return to your position. Although," you said, thinking that politely asking him would be better, "I understand it must be hard for you after the war, it has been for everyone else too, but please understand that you have not only your fate on your shoulders, but others depend on you too." Lucius Malfoy stood up to his full height. You took a few steps back, terrified, until you back into a wall.
"You, do you know who you're talking to?" You nod timidly at first, then, determined not to let him scare you anymore, you snarl, "Lucius Abarax Malfoy, patriarch of the Malfoy family, father to Draco Lucius Malfoy. Yes, I know who you are, and that doesn't give you any special privileges." Lucius Malfoy looks you in the eye. Suddenly you notice his eyes don't look so weak anymore. They're consumed by anger. Anger you saw in the war.
"Do you understand what I've gone through? After the war, my reputation went to the dogs. I can handle that. Potter and his oh-so-mighty group of friends had fought to exonerate my family name. I can deal with the negative results of that. But have the only person I have for comfort, my wife, dead?! I just cannot go back! My life is ruined!" You were taken aback by his outburst of anger. You didn't know about Narcissa's death.
  Draco, who had been listening at the door, rushed in at the loud outburst of his father. He sighed and looked at you." I'm sorry about this, my mother passed away yesterday. It was really sudden despite the fact that we knew she was suffering from dragon pox. She was dying away, withering. The war had destabilised her even more and she was left in St Mungo's to try to recover. As of yesterday night, she lost the battle. We may have won one battle, but we lost the one that mattered the most to us." You are shocked by that revelation. No wonder Draco looked worse than usual today.
  Without giving yourself time to have second thoughts, you walk to Lucius and place your hand on his shoulder. He quietly stands in front of you and looks down at his feet. After a few seconds pass, you seem to have regained memory of whose shoulder you were touching, and your hand flies back to you. That was dumb, you thought. "Why am I sparing a thought for a man who didn't spare any for the many Muggles he killed?" You think with a hint of bitterness.
  Finally, Lucius says, "I'm sorry." You are taken aback. Never in Merlin did you expect a Malfoy to apologise, to none other than you, a Muggle-born! "Why?" You croak. "I remember your parents. I killed them. I thought it fun at the time. I was brought up to think that Muggles were nothing more than the animals we eat for food every day. Its just that they were humans, and we couldn't eat them. It was the only way to get into the Dark Lord's good graces after my many failures. But after losing Narcissa... I see what I have done wrong. The pain upon your shoulders must be more than mine. And for that, I am sorry. " Lucius whispered, scared eyes looking at you. Anger heating your face, you run out of Malfoy Manor and Apparate home.
  When you reach home, you realise that there are tears in your eyes.