Chapter 3: Self-reflection

You push open the door to your house with a flick of your wand and collapse into a chair. Hot, angry tears escape your eyes and land unchecked on your body. How dare he talk about your parents in front of you, how dare he compare his pain with yours! He doesn't understand your pain and suffering. All those years in Hogwarts, you suffered discrimination because of your birth, your blood, and your heritage. And the biggest supporter of these discriminatory beliefs, just told you that he feels sorry for his behaviour?
  You are caught between feeling angry at him and feeling pleased that he has seen the error of his ways. You do not understand how to feel nor how to react. You sat there dazed for what might have been thirty minutes, before you head to the bathroom to clean up. That night, you sleep with nightmares of your parents and friends dying, and a familiar looking blond man looking down upon you, laughing.
  The next day when you report for work at the Ministry, you report straight to your boss to tell him about the results of your visit to the Malfoy Manor. As you step into his office, he says, "Ah, yes Miss [y/n], I have been expecting you. Today Mr Malfoy is still not at work, and I would like to know why that is so." Trying not to let tears escape your eyes again, you recount the activities of yesterday, carefully omitting out the part about your parents. Your boss looked upon you curiously and said," Well, I do need Mr Malfoy to come back to work. Could you mind persuading him again today after work? I understand his loss and all, but haven't we all lost someone?"
  You look at your boss, aghast at your boss' apparent indifference to Lucius' feelings. Your boss was known to be a kind and caring person, or at least decent, and you did not know why he was speaking in this manner. Before you go open your mouth to say something about it, a letter flew past your head and landed on his table. He motioned for you to leave the room and so you were left with no choice.
  You walk back to your table feeling confused when Draco Malfoy, still dressed in mourning attire, comes to you with a letter. He passes it to you wordlessly and leaves. You bring the letter back with you to your table and open it curiously. It is written on parchment with the Malfoy family crest on it. It read:

  Dear [y/n],
I am terribly sorry for my outburst the yesterday. It was very insensitive of me to bring up the topic of your parents yesterday, and as a token of my apology, I would like to invite you for dinner at the Malfoy Manor at 6. I have keyed in your signature to the floo for about ten minutes to let you directly floo in to my house. The place is "Malfoy Manor". I sincerely hope that you will accept my token of my sincere apology.
Yours,
Lucius Malfoy

  Reading the letter made you feel a whole lot of emotions. How was it that, a wealthy man with a known prejudice against Muggle-borns wanted to invite you, a Muggle-born, into his house for dinner? Deciding to just go with the flow, you push all thoughts of Lucius Malfoy out of your mind and set to doing your work. Your work happens, just so coincidentally, to be about the Death Eater fanatics that were still out of Azkaban. They were still trying to live in their little world that the Dark Lord wasn't dead, and they were doing anything in their power to restore pure blood supremacy to the world. On occasion, they managed to have organised attacks on Muggles, and as part of your work, you have to filter out these scraps of news and refer them to the correct departments. You think about Lucius Malfoy taking part or being the ringleader of these scum in the past and it makes your skin crawl.