3| Stage Fright

The auditions were what everyone was buzzing about at school. Siena couldn't walk anywhere without it being the top thing of conversation. Siena finally rammed her ear buds in her ears, blasting it to full volume, before isolating herself in the library until the next period.

Even Mackenzie wouldn't shut up about it. "Everyone is auditioning!" She exclaimed. "All I can hear is people practicing, I just walked by the boys bathroom and I heard some one literally screeching to hard rock. " she adjusted her new red top hat.

"Are you auditioning?" She asked Siena as she unwrapped her vegan lunch.

Siena nibbled on her lunch. She had planned to, that morning she had stood in front of her mirror and announced it to herself, swearing she wouldn't back out if it. Now she was having second thoughts.

Today she had put on a light blue v-neck t-shirt with a darker blue vest and jeans. Her shoes were some flats she had gotten for Christmas. Mackenzie had encouraged her to tie her hair back in a braid that rested down on her shoulder. Along with her lucky music note locket she had gotten from her dad for her birthday a little while after her parents divorced.

  It was more flashy than what she usually wore. For the occasion, as Mackenzie had said. But the closer the auditions got, the more nervous Siena felt. Her fingertips grazed the pages of her song book and she froze when she saw the loooonnnng line up in front if the auditorium. Everyone in line was singing or doing weird voice exercises.

Siena heaved a deep breathe and fiddled with her braid a bit. A lot of people to audition. She thought as she stepped behind the cheerleaders who were shouting and yelling. Plenty of time to mentally and emotionally prepare.

  The auditions went way faster then she was expecting....

  Except maybe that was because a lot of people went out crying. Trying not to have a panic attack Siena watched the cheerleaders go in.

  Then it was her turn. A random freshman called her in as the cheerleaders left waving their pom poms.

  Siena sighed and stepped in. It was dark in the room but the stage lights were harsh on the stage. Siena gripped her notebook in her hand and stepped out. The people judging weren't paying attention, they were sitting on a large table in the front and were...arguing.

  Zane was pressing some buttons that were on his head, saying "rebooting hearing system".

Jay was screeching, "I CAN'T HEAR ANYTHING!" Nya was causally sipping her can of pop in her seat as the boy in the orange scarf freaked out.

  Siena felt her stomach tie in knots when she saw Cole right in the middle of the group arguing with Kai. "That girl was horrible! And your marking it as a seven?"

  "She was good looking!"

  "That's not how you mark them!"

  Lloyd caught her eye and sighed. He slammed his hand on the table. "Guys! The next person is waiting for us." Everyone scrambled back into place. Jay fell flat on his face with an "ow."

  Cole saw Siena and immediately recognized her. He gave a small smile before motioning for her to go. "Hit it." He said. Cole's running this? Siena internally screamed. But she just nervously stepped towards the guitar on the stand backstage. She took it out and stood in the centre if the stage. She placed her notebook on the stand and took a deep breath.

  But everything became real. She saw them looking at her expectantly. The lights shining right on her. The panic just built up and just as she was about to play....she couldn't.

  Air. She needed air. Siena tossed the guitar at Cole and ran.

  She couldn't do it. She couldn't do it.

  She was nothing.

  Invisible.

  Afraid.

Siena forced the door open and dashed down the halls, tears springing in her eyes as she ran faster, and faster, until she couldn't run anymore. She found the janitors closet and pried it open before slamming the door and sitting on the mop bucket.

  Like always, as soon as she went to play, to catch her dream, she failed.

  Siena went to text Mackenzie on what happened but...she didn't feel ready to. Suddenly the someone knocked on the closet door.

  Siena ignored it. Then they knocked again. "Go away!" She shouted. There was silence. Then the door was yanked open. It was Cole. Siena shrank back. She had just thrown a guitar at him.

  "Um...if I broke the guitar I'll pay for damage." She had some babysitting funds saved up. Probably not enough for a guitar but she'd scrounge it up.

  "No, the guitar is fine." Cole sat down beside her. "But I would like some warning before a pretty girl throws a musical instrument at me." He grinned. Siena blushed and looked away. The cheerful feeling soon feel flat.

  "So, why didn't you sing?" Cole asked eventually.

   Siena twisted her hair around her finger. "I was afraid to." She replied in a whisper.

  She sighed. "Every time I go to play or sing...in front of an audience I freeze up. I overthink things. I can't remember the words, I can't sing, I just get too nervous and scared." She revealed.

  Cole was quiet for a moment. "I think, the sometimes the most scared and afraid artists can be the best ones. And even if you blow it, at least you tried. You gotta feel good about yourself. Besides I guess it's better for my eardrums than being too confident and horrible at music." Cole pointed out.

  Siena laughed. "True." Cole stood and held out his hand.

  "Wanna try again? You'll never learn how good you are if you don't try." Siena took a deep breath and took his hand. Sparks flew and Siena felt butterflies do a tornado in her stomach. As soon as he heaved her up, she pulled away. But her fingers already missed the warmth.

  "Oh," Cole remembered as he opened the door. "You'll need this." He handed her her notebook.

  Siena grabbed it. "Thanks." She said holding it close to her.

  Just as they left Cole murmured, "The songs are really good you know."

A/N
I know the picture has nothing to do with the chapter but I never noticed how much Cole leans on people! Or people lean on him! Or in this case, how many times he uses Zane as his personal wall.

LuckyBugBooks 🐞