15| I'm Done Being The Shy One

Siena stormed down the streets. She knew she shouldn't be walking around alone at night upset, with a kind clouded, and barely even concentrating on the world around her but she was done. Done being ignored. Done being second to whatever stupid thing her mother was concerning herself with.

  She treaded through the streets until she found herself at Cole's front door. Could she....?

  Siena took a deep breath and gently knocked, to self-conscious to ring the doorbell. As she heard the door being unlocked she became aware of the sounds of people laughing inside. What?

  "Who are you?" A girl with beautiful chestnut hair answered the door.

  "Um..." Siena blinked.

  "Siena!" Cole suddenly appeared, looking flustered. "What's up?"

  "I...uh...what's up to you?" She felt herself cringing on the inside.

  "We have some family friends over." Cole answered, the girl glanced at him. It was clear she didn't think about it like that. Siena's gaze flicked nervously to her then to Cole then to the ground.

  Cole frowned, studying her. "Is everything okay?" He asked, concerned.

Right. The girl glared daggers into Siena's soul, obviously not liking her being anywhere near her. Siena felt her eyes water again but she quickly blinked them away, turning her head. She coughed. "Yeah, yeah, sorry I didn't realize you were busy and I....just was going to stop by." She found herself saying.

  "Are you sure..." Cole looked uncertain. "Do you need to talk or..."

  "No!" Siena said quickly as the girl's eyes flashed. "No, I'm just-uh-on my way somewhere, thought I'd stop by to say hello. Um...obviously you're busy so I won't keep you."

  She began stepping away. "Sorry to bother you." She managed to choke out before flinging a quick bye as she ran.

  "Come on," Siena heard the girl say. "Our parents are waiting."

*****

  "What an utter cheese head."

  "Mackenzie." Siena sighed.

  "What?" Siena pressed the phone closer yo her ear. "Just saying! I gotta tella anyone who believes a family friend dinner makes a human being theirs is total mozzarella." 

  "So can I come to your place?" Siena asked through the microphone.

  "Of course girl! My dad loves you! And mom does too but she's currently in China so..."

  Siena made her way to Mackenzie's. She lived in the lower rent area in a small apartment complex. Though she didn't have as much money as her mother was bringing in she envied her. Mackenzie's parents adored their daughter and were lighthearted people. They were kind and madly in love with each other. They would always show signs of affection with hugs, small acts of kindness, and kisses-lots and lots of kisses that made Siena and Mackenzie scrunch up ether noses and say ew. Though she took part in the ewing of the signs of love Siena wished she could witness that in her family. Unfortunately she rarely hears from her father anymore after the divorce except for the occasional birthday card.

  But Mr. And Mrs. Mackerel always made sure to take Siena under their wing and treated her as their own. Wether it was light teasing from Simon or being fussed over constantly by Teresa. Siena smiled as the apartment came into view. It had a deep red worn down brick and all the windows were dark except for number 412 where the light was alms of blinding.

Siena shuffled down the hall and just as her hand went to knock the door flew open. Simon grinned at her, he was tall like Mackenzie and had the same mischievous smile. But Mackenzie got her brown frizzy hair from Teresa who rarely tried to tame it.

"Hi Siena!" Simon greeted her and ruffled her hair as she entered.

  Siena offered a small smile and hung up her coat along with kicking off her shoes.

  As she walked to Mackenzie's  she thought of her life. All her life she just hung in the shadows and tried to stay out of everyone's way. She thought of the showcase, that was her first time actually going after something she really wanted. She thought of her mother, how she never seemed to have time for her or any care for what she does. She thought of the girl at Cole's house. Siena could've asked for some privacy to talk with Cole but she just let the girl intimidate her.

Why would anyone want to be with a girl who was to afraid to go after her dreams?

  Siena whipped the door open and stared Mackenzie right in the eye.

  "I'm done being the shy one."