Prologue

It was a sunny day in Beach City. The sun was shining so brightly in the morning sky, and the birds happy chirps were carried through the air  by the nice summer breeze. Overall, it was a great day. At least it should have been a great day.

The Crystal Gems were sitting in the living room of the newly constructed beach house where the temple had sat. Things had been quiet for a while. The team had recently lost two of their closest companions and leaders: Rose Quartz and Citrine. After being their friends for thousands of years, the two had decided to give up their physical forms in order to give birth to a child. The reason why they wanted to do that was beyond the Crystal Gems understanding, but they decided to go with it since it was their leaders after all, despite their unhappiness and confusion towards the idea. They didn't know the two would cease to exist at the time they were first told, no, they were only told of that fact months later, but they had no control over what would happen at that point. Now, they knew that at some point they would no longer see Rose or Citrine and were even preparing for that moment, but once it finally came they didn't know what to do. No amount of preparation could have ever prepared them for this. And now? They now have the responsibility of two gem-human hybrid babies: Steven, the son of Rose, and (Y/N), the child of Citrine. And here they all are, the hybrid children, the Crystal Gems, and Greg- who the Crystal Gems were not particularly fond of after the loss of Rose, especially her Pearl, but found more tolerable than the "asshole" (in the terms Greg put it) that was (Y/N)'s biological father, who just about disappeared as soon as he realized the responsibility of the child was on him since Citrine would no longer be there. The unlikely group sat in a daze in the new living room, as they had been for a while now, not really accepting the fact that Rose and Citrine were gone, yet holding the evidence in their arms.

Suddenly, a cry shattered the silence. It was baby Steven. Little did anyone know that that cry would mark the point of no return. A large shadow had crossed the sky, blocking the sun from the small oceanside town.

"Somethings wrong!" Garnet yelled.

"It's probably just a cloud or somethin'," lazily replied Amethyst, who had recently woken up from a nap due to all the commotion.

"No cloud can be that big, Amethyst. At least I don't think so...," Goldy replied. Goldy was the nickname Amethyst have her and, after a while, it stuck to the point that everyone referred to her as that, instead of her longer, real name, Gold Pearl.

"EVERYONE! WATCH OUT!" commanded Garnet. Right as she said that, a large crash boomed right in front of the quaint beach house. "Pearl, Goldy, and Greg, take the children and keep them safe in the house. Everyone else, lets move out and see that's going on out there!"

As the three took baby Steven and (Y/N) and hid in the house, the rest (Garnet, Amethyst, and Bismuth) got their weapons and rushed outside only to be greeted by a sight worse than being shattered. It was the Diamond's ships. And right in front of them were the White, Yellow, and Blue Diamond. And they looked pissed.

"Where. Are. They.?" hissed White Diamond, who looked more menacing than ever before. Nobody replied.

"I will say this again. WHERE. ARE. THEY?!"shouted White. Blue and Yellow stood to her sides and looked equally angry. Yellow had a field of electricity surrounding her fists, occasionally lacking a large crackle sound. Meanwhile, Blue, usually known to be the more calm and reserved one, carried a look of pure and unbridled fury, with her emotional aura not being quite present, yet still in the air. The Crystal Gems, at this moment, realized that their fight was far from equal and that no good outcome would result from this encounter. One didn't need future vision to see this.

"We don't know what you're talking about!" Garnet fearlessly yelled back. They fought against the diamonds once and won. There was no way she was going to show any fear now.

"Actually I believe you do," Yellow calmly stated. "Tell us where the hybrids are."

"You want peace don't you?" chimed in Blue. "Give them to us, and we'll go without a fight. I assume you don't want to lose anymore members of your little rebellion after...well, you know," she continued, a small, yet sadistic smile upon her lips as she brought up the diamond attack.

"YO! WE AIN'T TELLIN YA WHERE THEY ARE!" Amethyst shouted out.

Garnet and Bismuth turned to Amethyst before she even finished her sentence. As soon as she did though, she realized her mistake. For the second time in thousands of years (the first time being when Rose and Citrine gave up their forms), all three of them had an expression of anxiety, terror, and regret all mixed into one strange amalgamation that could only be the result of one making a grave mistake, one that had no other result other than bad, worse, or the end of everything good.

"Ah, so the abomination says there's nothing, and yet the runt contradicts it?" White observed. "How interesting, truly it is."

The sound of a piercing wail cut through the tense atmosphere. It came from the beach house. And it was the sound of a baby.

"Hmm, "Don't know what you're talking about"? You were saying?" White taunted. "Really, if you were planning to keep this group of misfits intact, I suggest you work on your leadership skills, darling. Wouldn't you agree?"

Meanwhile things were chaotic inside the house. Pearl, Greg, and Goldy had closed the blinds, barricaded the door, and hid behind the kitchen counter. The trio had just gotten baby Steven to relax and quiet down, when shouting suddenly occurred outside. Baby (Y/N) had managed to stay asleep through the ordeal so far, and showed no signs of waking from their deep slumber. On the contrary, Steven, began to cry once more and this time, nobody could stop it. Right as Steven made the first piercing wail, things went silent outside. It wasn't a calm tranquil silence, where everything was peaceful and alright. It was a deadly silence, one that signifies the calm before the storm, the last moment of right before everything goes wrong.

Everything after that was a blur. Loud explosions, bright lights, electric pops and crackles, tears so large one couldn't see, couldn't breathe, couldn't do anything to stop anyone. Sounds of clashing weapons, yelling, screaming, begging...babies crying. And evil cackling. Then everything stopped. The lights retreated, the electricity faded, the tears stopped falling, and the shadows in the sky left. It was back to that perfect day.

Except it wasn't. As soon as everybody gathered their senses back, things seemed far from perfect. In fact, it was so far from that, it seemed like everyday going forward would never be perfect again. Because as soon as everybody gathered their senses back they made a horrible realization: Pearl was gone, along with baby Steven, the only remnant left of Rose, one she trusted them all with before she....

And tucked into the arms of Goldy, a baby cried. All hope wasn't lost. They still had one. It was with this acknowledgement that they all were able to gather the strength to move forward.

And tucked into the arms of three diamonds and by their side, a once freed, once again servant Pearl, a baby cried. But no one was there to comfort him.

Everything was far from perfect.