Chapter 2

Steven's P.O.V.

"Pearl set a course for Earth. We're going to see the state of how much work the colonizing progress is. So that way I know where to continue from" I said.

"May I ask why, my Diamond?" Pearl said.

"I want to continue what my mother started, as the new Pink Diamond and her son, I am responsible for continuing her work." I stated.

'The Diamonds put him up to this, didn't they?' Pearl thought.

Pearl sighed. "Of course , my Diamond."

Earlier...

"Steven, how would you like to hear a little story about your mother?" White had asked.

What..? My mother? Nobody seems to ever mention her... why now? Wait no, I won't question it. I might never get this chance again.

"Of course!" I replied. White made a face. Was I too excited? They, the other diamonds, seem to make that same face whenever I get too excited. I don't know why, but it seems to hurt them in a way, so I try not to act like that around them. I can't believe I let that slip. I hope White doesn't change her mind!

"Well... thousands of years ago, your mother was given her very first colony: Earth," White began to explain. White is great at telling stories. Some of my earliest memories are of her telling me stories about great conquests of the past whenever I got really hyper. Her stories always seemed to enrapture me.

"And? What happened next?" I asked, once again too excited. Wrong move. White seemed to finally close off, just like she always did when I couldn't contain myself.

"She never finished it."

A long stretch of silence filled the room. Neither of us spoke for a while. I was afraid of making her close off even more, and she almost looked afraid too. Except that was ridiculous. White Diamond doesn't get scared. She never gets scared. Plus, it's not like she had anything to be fearful about. It was probably just my imagination running wild again. Spinel usually helped me act out whatever crazy stories my imagination thought of. I wonder how she's doing now. I haven't seen her since I was called over. Wait, White looks like she's about to speak. I better listen.

"Do you want to continue colonizing the Earth for her?"

Huh? Me, having my own colony? Let alone one that my mother owned herself? I never really thought about having my own colony. I thought that was just a thing that the other Diamonds did, not something that I would ever get the opportunity of doing. I don't know how to run a colony! What if I mess up?! I can't disappoint the others! ...I can't disappoint my mother....

My mother... the Earth was her colony. There has to be information about her somewhere there. I need to know more about her! About how she was like, her life, the reason why she gave up her form for me... why would she give up her form for me?!

I need to finish colonizing the Earth.

"Yes. I would like to do that. Thank you, White," I finally answered. For gem kind, for Homeworld, for the Diamonds... and for my mother, Pink Diamond.

Back to the present...

I watched as the ship got closer to my colony. Earth. It looked so small and fragile. I don't understand how the diamonds found value in such a small planet. Surely a planet this insignificant wouldn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things, right? Hmm... I have to admit though, it does look quite beautiful. I wonder if my mother thought the same thing once... Nonsense. Diamonds only see their colonies for what they are: nothing but free resources. I really need to stop with this silliness if I'm to impress everyone.

"...Pearl?" I called out. The diamonds were usually busy, so I often turned to Pearl for guidance. As entertaining as Spinel is, she's not exactly the best advice giver. Pearl looked up from the controls and immediately her eyes went to the tiny planet in front of us. She gasped and her eyes seemed to grow teary with a look of...nostalgia? How odd...

"Pearl?" I asked again. No response. I began to get impatient. We don't all the time in the universe. I couldn't wait for my servant- because as much as a parental figure she was to me, that really is who she was- to stop daydreaming. "Pearl!"

She startled and looked as if she gathered her senses back. "My apologies, my Diamond. I was distracted. Please, forgive me. What was it that you wanted?"

"...Pearl, do you think I can do this? I need to finish what my mother started. It's what she would have wanted. I need to make her proud. But is it even possible for someone like me to do it?" I vented out to her. Pearl was my mother's servant. She had to have known her well enough to know what my mother would have thought of me.

'Oh no.... Steven... this isn't what she would have wanted at all... I wish I could tell you but I can't...' Pearl thought in anguish. 'Curse the Diamonds! If they hadn't taken you none of this would've happened. Earth would still be safe. You wouldn't have to be used like this...

"Of course you can, My Diamond," Pearl replied instead. "With your abilities, you can do whatever you wish."

I sighed. That helped calm me down a bit. "Pearl?"

"Yes, my Diamond?"

"Get back to the controls. We're about to enter the Earth's atmosphere."

Pearl looked as if she carried the weight of a million bricks on her shoulders. I began to feel bad. She only wanted to help. She didn't deserve a reply like that...I opened my mouth to apologize-

"Right away, my Diamond."

Right, Diamonds don't apologize to those beneath them, let alone their servants. I looked forward and took a deep breath.

Here we go. It's now or never.