one

It's been a long night.

business was slow, and I just wanted to go home. working the night shift at a corner store was nerve wracking to say the least, especially when you're the only one in the store to stop people from shop lifting.

I sigh deeply as i put up my last box of the night, pressing my lips into a thin line as i flip my dyed pink hair over my shoulder. four hours down, five more to go.

i sit down on a stool behind the counter and scroll through Instagram for a bit, the sharp edge of my nametag digging into my arm at the position im holding. as soon as I hear the soft "ding!" of the door opening, I stuff my phone in my back pocket and send the customer a fake smile and a soft, "hello, welcome to EZ Mart!"

the girl was a bit taller than me, maybe 5'3, and her hair was done up in space buns on either side of her head. her pouted lips curved up into a soft smirk as she sends me a soft wave and begins walking up and down the small aisles slowly.

I chew on my lip subconsciously, watching the girl take slow steps down the candy/chip aisle, stopping momentarily to look at the wide variety of crisps.

she walks up to the counter and sighs deeply, disappointment laced in her voice. "do you sell takis?" she asks me quietly, shoving her hands into her pockets.

"I believe so," I say, making my way from behind the counter, walking to the aisle with the full and snack sized chips. I bite my lip and look carefully for the purple bag. "I swear, I just put some out earlier tonight."

"its fine," she says, shaking her head slightly. "dont worry about it; I'll just get something else."

I nod slightly at her words as she snatches a random candy bar from the shelf, following me up to the counter.

"I also need a pack of Newport menthol shorts, please," she says softly, setting the candy bar on my counter. I nod and turn around, using a small step stool to reach the small box better. I turn back around to face the girl, scanning both items before bringing up her total. "$10.49, please."

"they need to get you a taller stool," she says jokingly, grabbing her wallet out of her baggy shorts.

"yeah," I say softly, a soft laugh leaving my lips. "you dont look like the type to smoke," I tell her, and regret it immediately as the color drains from her face.

"it's for my boyfriend," she says quietly, handing me a one hundred dollar bill. I use the counterfeit detector pen to determine if it's real, and put it in the drawer before grabbing her change.

"why cant he get his own smokes?" I ask her curiously, setting the two items in a small bag.

"hes not with me - hes not one to get out much." she tells me, shrugging her shoulders slightly. "he makes me get out literally every night to get him a pack so he can sleep."

"pardon my language," I start, shaking my head slightly. "but he seems like an ass."

she let's out a soft laugh, and her tongue darts out of her mouth to wet her lips. "I know he is." she tells me, looking at me with a new glimmer in her eyes. her eyes dart down to my chest and I cross my arms subconsciously. "do you work tomorrow night?"

"I practically live here," I tell her with a soft laugh. "I'm working ten at night to seven in the morning - tonight, tomorrow night, and every day after that."

"alright then," she says with a shy smile. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow night, darian."

"sounds like a plan," I trail off, waiting for her to fill the blank with her name.

"billie," she fills in, her lip caught between her teeth.

"billie," I repeat softly, watching as she walks out of the store and gets into a matte black dodge challenger.

hello hello my beautiful readers.
these chapters will probably be short, as this is gonna be short story mostly. I'll try to make each chapter anywhere between 500-700 words if possible. make sure you vote, comment, and share this with your friends xx