sixteen

my heart skips a beat as I look at the sleeping angel in my arms.

I'd woken up about an hour ago after not even realizing I had fallen asleep.

it's about 2am and I can hear my phone blowing up in the bedroom, but I didnt have the energy nor the heart to move billie from my chest to go get the device.

I run my fingers through her dark hair and admire the way her eyes moved beneath her eyelids. I wonder what shes dreaming about.

after the other night, ive been feeling anxious every time she closes her eyes to sleep. I didnt want her having another seizure, nor another nightmare about killing herself. the entire time I watch her eyes dance beneath her eyelids, my mind runs a million miles a second.

what's she dreaming about?

where is she?

what's going on in her head?

is she dreaming about me?

that last one seems sort of selfish, but I lowkey hope that she is dreaming of me.

I press my lips to her forehead and close my eyes once more, trying to fall asleep to the sounds of her soft breaths leaving her lips. however, i dont get far into slumber when suddenly a loud banging is heard on the front door.

"what the fuck?" billie asks groggily, rubbing her eyes as she lifts her head from my chest.

I shrug slightly and gently move her body to the side, standing up and walking toward the door. I look through the peephole and see..my district manager?

I furrow my eyebrows and open the door slightly, the chain keeping it from being opened all the way. "can I help you?"

"you've missed three days of work," he growls, his fist banging on my door once again. "that's three no call, no shows, which means I'm supposed to fire you."

I roll my eyes at his words and sigh, looking at him. "my schedule says I havent been scheduled, so I didnt come in."

"that's a bullshit lie," he says through his teeth, clicking his tongue. "I specifically had you working doubles all three days that you havent been there, so im calling it a no call no show."

"so you're disturbing my sleeping time with my girlfriend, why?" I ask him, annoyed at his presence and attitude.

he rolls his eyes at the word 'girlfriend,' before closing his eyes and sighing deeply. "I came here to tell you that you're fired - you dont answers calls, nor texts, and you're fraternizing with customers.  thay girlfriend of yours isnt a girlfriend, shes a customer that just so happens to be attractive."

"get the fuck away from my door, or I will not hesitate to beat the fuck out of you." i growl lowly before looking back at a confused billie, making sure she didnt hear my words.

"it's a free country, darian," he chuckles, throwing his hands in the air. his slightly chubby body got closer to the door. "you're already going to hell, so do yourself a favor and go to church." he spits in my face, as hes done so many times before, before walking away.

I slam the door and unchain it, looking at billie momentarily, grabbing my purple pocket knife off of the island, and murmuring a soft, "stay here, baby girl." I open the door once more and storm out of my apartment, watching the short and chubby man turn the corner.

I follow him quickly and just as he gets to the door of the building, I slam him against the wall beside the elevator.

I open the pocket knife and hold the tip of it to his neck, growling, "you fucking disrespect me one more time, I swear to god, I'll kill you. that's a promise, not a threat."

his wide eyes glance between my own eyes and the purple blade in my hand.  "you should know, if you dont repent from your sinful and unlawful ways, you're gonna die and go to hell, and so will your little slut of a girlfriend."

I press the blade to his skin, drawing just a tiny bit of blood. "at least im actually getting some pussy - something you havent had in years. I say, if you call my girl anything else but her name, I will slit your throat - right here, right now."

he visibly gulps, his Adam's apple bobbing slightly. "you don't scare me, dyke."

"I should." I tell him, digging the knife a little deeper into his skin. a clot of blood slowly dripped down his neck and onto his chest, and his eyes squeeze shut in pain. "try me, mother fucker."

he grips my wrist tightly in his hand and a gasp leaves his lips as he feels the warm blood dripping steadily from his neck. unable to speak, he violently slaps the knife out of my hand before pushing me down to the floor and fleeing the building.

I groan softly, feeling blood drip from my own hand as I pick myself up off the ground. I must've been holding the knife a little tighter than I thought.

I grab the knife off of the floor and close it, making my way back to my apartment.

I forgot to mention - this is what I picture darian looking like