four

I turn the volume up on the radio, the sound of Michael Jackson's bad playing through the speakers. I dance around the small corner store and sing to myself as I mop the floors, using the end of the mop as a microphone.

"the word is out, you're doin' wrong. gonna lock you up, before too long. your lyin' eyes, gonna tell you right. so listen up, don't make a fight. your talk is cheap, you're not a man. you're throwin' stones, to hide your hands." I sing loudly, my hips swaying softly to the beat of the song.

I'm pulled out of my mini concert as the door opens. I turn to look at the girl standing in the doorway. her hair was down and messy, and her cheeks held smeared eyeliner and mascara.

"billie," I say softly, immediately pulling her into my embrace. "what the hell happened to you?"

"he kicked me out," she mumbles softly, hiding her face in my neck. "i paid for that fucking apartment, and he kicked me out."

I growl lowly, pulling away from the girl and cupping her cheeks in my hands. "do you have anywhere else to go?"

"no," she whispers, tears falling from her cheeks. "not unless I go and live with my brother."

"if I didnt live with my mom, I would offer you to stay with me." I tell her sadly, pulling her back to my body.

"who knows," she says softly, her eyes closing as tears fall from them. "maybe ill convince him to let me stay."

"dont get hurt," I tell her, running my fingers through her hair gently. "I swear to God, if he hurts you, Billie, I will personally kill him."

she let's out a pained laugh, wiping her cheeks with her hands as she pulls away from my embrace. "is that a promise or a threat?"

"both," I tell her firmly, my brown eyes staring into her blue ones. "I would kill anyone who hurts you. you're too precious to be crying so much."

she looks down at her sandals, sniffling softly. "you're so amazing. I wish I could just stay with you all the time."

"so do i, darling," I say quietly, my lips pressing against her forehead. "but sadly, we cant always get what we want."

"i want to feel worth something," she says quietly, looking at me with her lip caught between her teeth. "I hate how he treats me - and I hate that the only time I feel safe is when I'm here with you."

"I'm glad you feel safe around me," I say to her, my fingers wiping the tears from her cheeks gently. "but I hate that you feel that way with him."

"so do i," she let's out a sarcastic laugh, pressing her cold hands to her forehead. "I wish I could just stay with you all the time."

"unfortunately, that cant happen, babe," I tell her, my hands grabbing onto her wrists softly. "but I can give you my number, and you can call me whenever you need me, and I'll be there."

"promise?" she asks me in a small voice, her blue eyes connecting with my brown ones.

"i promise, billie."