Young!John Laurens x Young!Reader

"Mother! This is too hard!" You cried as you threw the sewing pattern on the floor. Your mother sat beside you and rubbed your 8 year old shoulders. "(Y/N)," She said soothingly into your ear. "It takes a little practice. I wasn't able to see my first dress until I was about 12." The older woman's (e/c) eyes smiled warmly at you.

Sighing you pick the pattern back up. "Mother how did you get to be so good at sewing?" You inquired to your mother as you sat back down. Your mother smiled and guided your hands through the process. "Well, (Y/N) it took lots of practice before I could open up this shop."

You nod and then tug your mother's sleeve. "May I go outside? I saw some lovely flowers outside," you told your mother. She shook her head and smiled, "Fine, but return soon. You have to learn this pattern sweetie."

You happily ran out of the dim room and into the sunlight. Almost tripping over your (f/c) dress you hopped out of the door. You ran towards the small forest near your family's cottage. The scent of the forest wrapped around your senses, causing you to smell all the splendid earthy wonders that lay before you.

Finding a lovely patch of flowers you sat down on the moist ground and started to weave the stems together to make a crown of flowers. You weaves together only the strongest stems and put the crown on your head.

Just as you set to work on another braided crown you heard loud thumps coming from further into the woods. You hesitantly got up deciding that checking the noise was the best possible option for yourself.

You stood up and crept through the woods towards the noise. Now closer it sounded like several axes chopping wood. You finally saw three people chopping down wood in the forest. Two of what you assumed to be workers, as a huge plantation headed by Mr. Henry Laurens. The last person looked to be about a few years older then you.

"Come on men, the faster we finish the faster you can see your families. Lester, I heard earlier that your wife has gone into labor. I would say you could go to the quarters earlier, but I can't disobey father's orders," The young boy said seemingly chopping faster.

His curly hair was pulled back into a ponytail. His freckled far was covered in sweat and his eyes were sharpened with determination to finish the job. The two men working beside him kept their paces steady and hard.

You decided to leave them to their work. You walked off and stepped on a branch. Cracking beneath your feet the noise was loud and caught the attention of the workers. You whipped around and locked your eyes with the boy. He cocked an eyebrow and walked down towards you.

Your facial expression must have gave away your fear, because he smiled warmly saying, "I'm not going to hurt you. I'm
just quite confused why such a young girl is out in the woods by herself. It's quite dangerous by yourself." He had dropped the axe and was advancing towards you.

You take a deep breath and say, "Well, I was just picking flowers over there." She pointed towards the direction she came from. "I heard loud thumping noises and came to see what the noise was about. I am sorry if I have interfered with your work schedule. I think I'll leave now so you can continue your work."

"Wait! Don't leave yet I don't even know your name little one," the boy said towards you. You stopped and smoothed out your wrinkled dress. "My name is (Y/N) (L/N). I live just down the ravine and over to the left, a-and I'm not little! I'm at 8 and mother said once I turn 12 she will begin the search for a husband! A-Anyway I come to this forest a lot, but I have never seen you before. How come?"

"Oh, me? I usually stay at home in my study, I'm working to free my father's men... it will take a lot of work though," he said dejectedly. You raised an eyebrow and questioned, "Are you Mr. Lauren's son"

He nodded, "Yes I am, My name is John Lau-" loud calling interrupted him and he looked over his shoulder. "I send my apologies, but I must leave now. I'd love to get to know you better, meet me here tomorrow if you wish?" You nodded a little dazed and he smiled a dazzling smile.

"Until then... little one," he said winking and heading back to his men. They rounded up and left as you smiled happily. Finally someone to talk to... and maybe, maybe just a little more.

——
809 words and uhh... randomly and sporadicly added I took a long unannounced break and I apologize if someone really wanted this to update and it never did, but my attention is on a
story I hope to release all in one.