Chapter One: Ohana Means Bullshit

Atlas' POV

Do you remember when we were all kids, and we had spent most of our time sitting behind the television watching Lilo and Stitch receiving that infamous mantra?

"Ohana means family and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten." I spent most of my time thinking that my family was perfect, that my parents had loved one another, but damn was I wrong.

The thing is, sometimes family is just a title and that means absolutely nothing. It's just all bullshit.

See, my name is Atlas Consuelos- Jauregui and I'm the younger daughter of Lauren and Camila. I have an older sister; her name is Celena. She's pretty much annoying but I guess that's what older sisters are for.

My parents had met when they were both twenty. It wasn't a whirlwind romance, or so I would describe it anyway, but I think to them it was. They loved each other with every fibre of their being at one point. They had meant everything to each other. And the funny thing is, I don't think that's the truth anymore.

Lauren; to her face I call her 'mom' and Camila; I refer to her as 'ma' but for the sake of me telling you the story, I'll use their names. Lauren was an attorney, she had a thriving practice. She won many cases, and could count how many she had lost on one hand. There were many times I had wished to be just like my mother. I wanted to study law, go to the same university as her, I wanted her to be proud of me.

Camila, my other mother owned a boutique. She had named it A&C's after me and my older sister. Well technically it was originally called 'Celena's' but given the fact that I was a very jealous child when I was a lot younger, my mother decided to change the name over time. Her business thrived, as expected. My mother had an eye for fashion and she had a way with words. Even if someone literally looked like an onion in one of her designs, she would convince them that they were runway worthy.

They both sound like the epitome of a power couple, huh? Well, they are to people. My parents are socialites and very well known people in Caracas. Not just my parents but my entire family on the whole; the Consuelos. My grandparents had long died, but my aunts and uncles; twelve (excluding Lauren, of course) of them, yes I just said twelve, were the owners of my grandparents thriving chain of companies; jewellery stores, clothing stores, restaurants and a little side business, if you know what I mean.

Hint, hint.

Yes, I'm talking about drugs.

I have a couple of loser uncles who find their joy in selling drugs. Luckily for them, the law is on our side. Having a sister who's an attorney, nephews who are police officers, cousins who are high ranking judges, and a cousin who was the previous president of our beautiful country, sure does have its perks.

Sometimes, I used to wonder if that's why my family pursued the careers that they did; to do their side businesses.

I'm not supposed to know any of them, but growing up in a family like mine, you tend to be devious and lurk in the shadows.

As my abuelito used to say, God bless his soul, even though I'm sure he's burning in the fiery depths of hell; "Children must be seen and not heard."

My family isn't perfect, I know that now, but I love them dearly and I think I always will. But sometimes, it becomes unbearable.

Blood is thicker than water, the people say.

***

"Atlas!" Lauren's voiced echoed throughout the hall. "Hurry up, you're going to be late for school."

"I'm coming! I'm coming!" She grumbled as she slung her backpack over her shoulder and sprinted through the hallway. She met up with her family who were already having breakfast. "Buenos días, everyone." She placed a kiss on her mother's cheek, who smiled at the gesture, the she punched her sister in the shoulder as she took a seat next to her. "Jigglypuff."