Chapter Five: Day To Day

Mitch Alborn once said; "All parents damage their children. It cannot be helped. Youth, like pristine glass, absorbs the prints of its handlers. Some parents smudge, others crack, a few shatter childhoods completely into jagged little pieces, beyond repair."

I'll like to think that there are no such thing as 'broken families' but rather it is something way different. Family is family, and it isn't determined by a marriage certificate, divorce papers, adoption papers or even your last name.

Families are made in the heart.

So just because someone is related to you by blood, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are your 'family'. They may be your 'aunt' but have they ever acted like your aunt your entire life?

Someone may be your father but when was the last time you saw them? When was the last time they held you comfortingly in their arms and told you that they loved you? Or that they were proud of you.

The only time a family can be deemed as 'null and void' is when those ties that are within the heart are severed. If you cut those ties, those people are no longer your family. If you make those ties, they are your family.

And if you hate those ties, those people will remain your family, because what you hate will remain with you all of your life.

Family are one of the most toxic beings to ever be involved in your life. Even if you love them, but they're not good for you, for your mental, emotional and physical health, you need to distance yourself from them.

Because as much as you love your family, the person who truly matters the most is you.

If your family loves you, they will act like it.

***

"All rise," everyone in the courtroom stood besides the Judge. "Court is now in session. The honourable Judge Ramírez presiding. Please be seated." Once everyone sat, the bailiff stepped to the corner of the courtroom.

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen." Judge Ramírez greeted the court. "Calling the case of Pearl Jauregui versus Juliette Jauregui. Are both sides ready?" The judge visibly cringed once she realised who were present in her courtroom...yet again.

The attorney for the plaintiff; Pearl Jauregui rose, along with Juliette who managed to rope Lauren into being her unofficial attorney, as it would have been a conflict of interest.

"Ready for the plaintiff, Your Honour."

"Ready for the defense, Your Honour," Lauren mumbled. Clearly she didn't want to be a part of unnecessary family drama, but yet here she was.

Being a part of the unnecessary family drama.

Judge Ramírez sighed heavily. "Let's not pretend like this is going to be another typical case," she told the two parties. "What brings you here today?"

"Your Honour," Pearl Jauregui began, "I was dwelling in one of my niece's homes and she is unlawfully kicking me out."

Juliette rolled her eyes. "I am not doing no such thing, Your Honour! I gave her an extension of time, but that extension is over. I want her out of my house."

"You threw all my belongings out onto the street!"

"Only because you didn't want to leave!" Juliette bit back.

Lauren stood, rubbing her temples. She raised a hand to stop her younger sister from talking. "Your Honour, if I may." The judge gestured for her to continue. "My client had a verbal agreement with the plaintiff, for her to stay until her own home was built, and that was almost three years ago and nothing has been done. My client is now seeking permission from the court to evict Pearl Jauregui from her home."