Chapter 1

Himiko sat on her dorm bed, shuffling cards absentmindedly. I
She didn't want to move, but dinner was being served in the cafeteria soon and their pizza was actually pretty good.

She shifted and her back pressed against the corner of the book under her pillow. She cringed and shoved it further underneath. It was just a random magic book that she got as a gift from her mom.

She struggled out from underneath her red blanket and slid off the comfortable bed. Still shuffling the cards, she made my way across the floor. The carpet felt nice on her feet and she prepared herself for the hardwood floor of the living area. She placed the cards on the dresser as she opened the door.

The cold floor made her wish she had her slippers, but she had left them in Angie's room and she was out with Tenko at the moment. Himiko sighed and made her way towards the door. Kaede noticed her from the couch where she sat with Maki and Tsumugi.

"Are you going to dinner, Himiko?" She asked kindly.

The mage nodded, "I got hungry..."

Maki stood, "I'll join you." Tsumugi and Kaede stood as well and they all started walking to the cafeteria together.

The cafeteria was crowded and Himiko had a hard time seeing where the line ended. Kaede walked in front and they all followed close behind. The redhead clung to Maki's shirt a bit, the crowd making her nervous. She could perform just fine in front of an audience, but her size made it difficult to be apart of one.

The line went quicker than everyone thought it would and they were soon looking around for somewhere to eat. Maki swept the cafeteria with her eyes before muttering under her breath and turning to them, "Let's just eat in the library."

Himiko wondered what she saw and peered around her. Kokichi, Kaito, Shuichi, and Rantaro were sitting together at a table in the back. Kokichi was talking and waving his arms around frantically, almost like he was trying to make someone understand him.

Kaede seemed to notice as well, "Why don't we sit over there?" She pointed, balancing her tray against her hip, "There are some open seats."

Tsumugi began walking towards them, followed by a happy Kaede and grumbling Maki. The mage followed behind her, trying not to run into anyone or trip over anyone's feet.

When they reached the table, Shuichi was the first to greet them. He waved quietly and gestured to the open seats, though he still seemed invested in whatever Kokichi was saying.

Himiko sat down in an open seat between Rantaro and Kokichi. The latter had just finished explaining something to Kaito. The astronaut was nodding like he understood, even though it was clear he didn't.

While everyone conversed, the mage zoned out. It was too much of a pain to participate in small talk.

"Himi-chan! Are you listening?"

She flushed a bit at the nickname and looked up at Kokichi, "Nyeh, what is it?"

He gave her his signature laugh, "Kaede was telling you how her and Rantaro are going on a date tonight."

Kaede rolled her eyes while Rantaro blushed, "It's not a date Kokichi, we're just hanging out."

"What ever you say nishishi~"

She found herself getting lost in his sparkling eyes before quickly pulling herself out of the trance. Stop being a creep.

"Anyways," Maki began, "I'm also going out tonight, so you'll have to dorms to yourself tonight."

Shuichi cocked his head to the side, "Where are you going, Maki?"

"None of your business." She stated in an aggressive tone.

Kaito quickly revealed the truth, "Uh, I'm also going to be out tonight." Then, realizing how obvious that sounded, "But it's completely unrelated to Maki and her nightlife."

The brunette facepalmed as everyone laughed at his obvious cover up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Himiko lay across the couch watching a cheesy romantic comedy she found on Hulu. It wasn't a bad show, it just was a bit boring.

She was about to turn it off and go practice magic in her lab when her phone rang. She picked it up and answered, "Hello?"

"Hi Himi!" Kokichi's voice rang loud over the phone, so loud that she had to pull it away from her ear, opting to just put it on speaker.

"Hello Kokichi."

"Aw, you're no fun." The redhead could practically feel his pout through the phone, "Why don't you call me Kichi anymore?"

She sighed heavily, "Because we're almost adults now."

She heard him shift on his bed, "I'm bored! Everyone is out being all lovey-dovey and I'm all alone!"

"Isn't Shuichi still there?"

"Yeah, but he's too serious!"

She sighed again, rubbing the bridge of her nose, "Fine. I'll be there in twenty minutes."

"Make it ten!"

She hung up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hola! I published this before in first person, but I decided to change it to third. I think it works better.

Thank you so much for reading!

~844 words~