Chapter 8

The break passed quickly and suddenly, Himiko was packing to go back to Hope's Peak. She was excited to see her friends, but she'd have until Christmas break to come back again.

Kokichi seemed rather excited as he put his luggage inside his trunk, bouncing on his feet like a child. Himiko wasn't so sure what got him all excited, but she caught herself staring at his adorable childishness a few times.

As she was leaving, her mother hugged her tightly, "I'm going to miss you so much, my little angel!" She exclaimed, squeezing the life out of her daughter.

"Mom, relax." The redhead reassured, "It's not like I'm going away forever."

When her mom pulled away, Jiro stepped forward. He ruffled Himiko's firetruck hair, much to her protest, "See you later, Miko."

She plastered a smile on her face, which lasted even after Itachi stepped up to her. He shifted from foot to foot and held out an arm, offering a side hug.

Itachi was staying for a few months longer, her mother's idea, and he was determined to build some sort of relationship with his children.

Himiko just stared at him.

He sighed, "Look kid, I'm sorry I'm not a great dad. I just got overwhelmed and..."

The mage knew it was a half-assed excuse, but all she wanted to do was hug him. She had no idea why, but she wanted to give her father a big bear hug.

She settled for a sidehug.

He seemed surprised before smiling, "Have fun at school."

"I will d-"

She stopped.

She almost called him dad.

If he noticed, he didn't point it out, "I know you're probably not ready to say I love you yet, but I really do." He ruffled her hair, similarly to how Jiro did, "No matter what, okay?"

What does that mean?

"Okay."

And with that, she left the house.

She saw Kokichi waving goodbye to her family and walking up to her window.

She rolled it down and he leaned over the side, "Hi, Himi!"

Himiko rolled her eyes, "No point saying goodbye, I'll see you at the school."

He smirked, "I guess you're right." He turned around, about to leave before grinning back at her, "Or is that a lie?"

He winked at the mage while she rolled the window up with an unimpressed look on her face.

Kokichi shrugged, and she watched through her rearview mirror as he got into his car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reunions had been touching to watch, but hers were short. She was only really close with Tenko, Angie, Kokichi, and recently Maki. Though Rantaro and Kaede gave her a huge hug as soon as she entered the dorm.

Kirumi, Tsumugi's roommate who Himiko hadn't met before, decided to host a "welcome back dinner party" in her ultimate lab. There was a lot of food, it felt like Thanksgiving again.

Now the mage was sitting in the beanbag in the corner of the room, reading a book. The quiet was nice after the loud chatter and music, so Himiko was savoring it.

Her hands itched to do some magic tricks, as she had taken a break from them over break, so she stood and headed to her ultimate lab.

On the way there, she saw Tenko and Angie walking up to her holding hands, "Himiko!" Tenko exclaimed, running towards her. She pulled a shocked Angie behind her.

"Did you guys finally get together?" The redhead asked the two girls.

Angie smiled while Tenko turned red, "Atua says it was written in the stars!" She winked at Himiko, leaning down and speaking in a soft voice, "Plus, I knew she was pining for a while. I was looking for a sign."

Himiko giggled as Angue leaned away, Tenko glanced back and forth between them, "What's so funny?"

"Nothing, honey. Atua says we should go to your lab!"

"Ooh, are you finally going to spare with me?"

"Eh..."

Himiko watched as they walked away hand in hand. She felt a little envious of their relationship, but she didn't know why.

I'm not interested in anyone... I think...

Then, she paused her walking.

Wait, how would I know? I've heard the feeling is similar to that of having a best friend.

Suddenly, she started pacing the hallway. Thinking it over.

Maybe I should get some advice... but from who?

She started walking again, trusting her feet to take her where she needed to go.

As she walked, she pondered who she could have liked. She ended up at...

Kokichi's room?

...

No, not him.

She didn't know why, but the thought of discussing crushes with the leader was the last thing she wanted to do.

Letting her feet guide her, this time she focused on getting advice. The next door she stopped at was Rantaros.

Knocking on the door, she bounced on her feet, wondering if this was a good idea.

The avacado boy smiled down at her shortly after, "What are you doing here Himiko?"

"W-well, I need some advice..."

Without making her elaborate, he allowed her into his room.

Once the door was safely closed, he turned to the mage, who was now sitting on his bed.

"So, what did you need advice on?"

She fiddled with her skirt, "Um, how... how do you know..."

He sat next to her on the bed, "Take your time."

The redhead took a deep breath and continued, "How do you know when you lo-like soemone."

He chuckled, "Oh, is that what this is about?"

She flushed, "Q-quiet!"

"Sorry, sorry, I just assumed this is is a conversation you'd have with your father after getting your first boyfriend."

He laughed, but the mage tensed at his words. She didn't have a father to talk to about that. No one to talk about crushes with, or lecture her boyfriend about boundaries. It made her angry.

He must of sensed this, because he quickly continued, "Sorry, um, go ahead. Rant. I'm a good listener."

She sighed, "Well..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have your drank any water today? Go drink some if not. How about food? Go eat something. Brush your teeth if you haven't. Take a shower. Go for a walk. Take any necessary medication. Take your binder off. Most importantly, take a step back and remember you're important.

I know it can be hard sometimes, but take care of yourself, you're worth it!