Chapter 4

Himiko hesitated at Kokichi's dorm. She knew Kaito didn't have class from his constant posting during this time period, she had the notifications to prove it.

What if he rats me out? He is a bit of a people pleaser...

No. He wouldn't do that. He might tell everyone else though.

Holding her breath, she knocked on the door. She heard shuffling and frustrated muttering from the other side before the door opened.

Kaito was there in his casual clothing, rubbing his eyes like he was tired, "Oh, Himiko." He said surprised, "You scared me, come on in."

She walks in and tugs on her skirt, hoping he doesn't know that she has class at the moment.

Unfortunately for her, "Hey, aren't you supposed to be in class right now?"

Himiko gripped her skirt harder, "I-it was canceled. The teacher got sick."

Himiko had never been so glad she wasn't talking to literally anyone else. She had been told many times that she's a bad liar, but Kaito trusted everyone to tell the truth.

He gave her a thumbs up, "Okay, why are you here then?"

She fiddled with her fingers, "I'm, um, trying to find Kokichi..."

Kaito raised an eyebrow, "He left a while ago. Said he had some leader business stuff to attend to."

Himiko froze for a moment before remembering, I was supposed to go there. I can't believe I forgot!

Himiko apologized and quickly left. She speedwalked down the corridor and to the stairs. I'm such a bad friend! How could I forget something like that?!

She stopped herself, No, I'm supposed to be mad at Kokichi.

Going down the stairs two at a time, she made it to the basement floor. Luckily for her it was unlocked.

Opening the door, she made her way inside.

If I remember correctly, I have to go left and then right.

Kokichi and Himiko had discovered a place in the basement their first month at the school. The leader had been on a rebellious streak for a while, trying to see what it would take to get him kicked out, and ended up dragging Himiko to the basement with him. He wanted to graffiti a wall with crude drawings and, at the time, neither of them particularly wanted to be at Hope's Peak anyway.

They were looking for a place to graffiti, when they found a door painted the same colour as the wall. Kokichi dared Himiko to open it, and she did. That's how they found what Kokichi likes to call, "The Game Room". It was just a small abandoned office space, probably meant for filing, that had these big old fashioned computers and dusty bookshelves. Kokichi and Himiko used it to skip class a lot after that day.

But since then, Himiko hadn't been down there. She had found a way to enjoy living at Hope's Peak and tried to encourage Kokichi, but he's still stubborn about it.

Himiko pushed open the gray door, coughing a bit at the paint fumes that never seem to escape the basement. It was below the garage with a couple of vent openings here and there, so you could smell the gasoline and rubber from the cars whenever they were parked there.

Inside was mostly normal, Kokichi had managed to sneak in some games and Himiko had a stash of small magic tricks and books to read. The leader even had a package of Panta in the corner.

When she entered, she saw Kokichi sitting at one of the desks. He was staring at his reflection in the dark computer screen before noticing the mage.

"Himi!" He exclaimed, "I thought you'd never show!"

Himiko tried her best to not act happy to see her friend, but it was all in vain. He could spot her lies from a mile away.

Himiko cleared her throat of all the dust in the room, "What did you want to talk about?"

Kokichi's face lit up, "I wanted to show you a game!"

Typical Kokichi... he won't apologize, will he?

Himiko shrugged halfheartedly, "Nyeh, fine."

He cheered before patting the seat next to him. As the redhead sat down, Kokichi shoved everything on the desk to the floor. It made a loud, echoey crushing sound that made the mage cover her ears. He laughed.

"Alright," Himiko probed, "What is this ga- WOAH-"

Kokichi had pulled a knife out of nowhere and was now pointing it at her, "What? We're just playing the knife game."

"Wh-what is that?"

He lowered the knife, instead pointing it towards the table, spreading his fingers out wide.

"Here, I'll show you!"

Himiko barely had time to register what was happening when Kokichi started stabbing the knife into the table between his outstretched fingers.

"K-kokichi slow down!" She pleaded, "You're gonna hurt yourself!"

He didn't slow down, in fact, he seemed to speed up.

"Relax Himi, I got th- ow!"

He promptly dropped the knife, clutching his hand to his chest.

Himiko freaked out, "KOKICHI!"

She reached out and grabbed his hand, yanking it towards her. All she saw was a healthy hand, no blood in sight.

Lifting her head, she scowled at Kokichi.

"Aww, Himiko!" He cooed, "You actually care!"

A wave of relief and anger came over her as her eyes watered. She leaned into Kokichi weakly, barely putting any weight into it, lightly hitting his chest with her fist.

It took him a minute to figure out she was crying.

His instincts kicked in and he cradled her head in one arm, the other slipping around her waist. He rested his head near her ear, "Hey, you okay?"

Himiko didn't seem to notice his strange behaviour, or she just didn't point it out, "I-i thought- Y-you could have-" She choked on her words, tears leaking heavily from her eyes.

"Shh..."

They stayed like that a while. The whole time Himiko thought one thing.

What game is he playing at here?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello! This chapter turned out a bit longer than the others, but I'm happy with it.

Anyways, I thought I'd ask another question. If you could turn any Wattpad fanfiction into a movie, which would it be? Any author, any fandom. I don't discriminate.

My answer would probably be "Love is Painful" by MotherOfUnholyStakes. Go check them out! It's an Oumasai fanfiction. I'm soft for both Oumeno and Oumasai.

(Honestly I ship all of them except for a few.)