Prologue

Liliana
It was done.

Nicol Bolas, The Forever Serpent, The God-Pharaoh Of Amonkhet, was dead.

But at what cost?

I looked out over the sea of Lazotep-coated undead warriors that surrounded the dragon's citadel, onto a ruined world. Millions must have been dead, or worse.

Why did I live?

I lived because of the sacrifice of someone else. A friend, at the least. Gideon Jura. He gave his life so I didn't succumb to my pact with my demons.

Looking where the elder dragon fell, I saw no sign of his presence. All that was left was The Gem Of Becoming.

Seeing the oblong shape, my heart skipped a beat. Bolas was a being of immense power, and The Gem, I know has something to do with it. I took the little time I had and grabbed-

Nothing?!

"Tell me, Necromancer," I heard someone say, "What's so great about an egg?".

I whirled around to see a boy who couldn't have been older than seventeen, a whip in one hand, The Gem in the other. "I mean, it's kinda neat, but the way you ran to grab it…".

"You listen to me, cur," I seethed, my hand glowing with necromantic energy. "You have no clue what that is, or who or what you're dealing with.".

"I don't care, really," he responded, grinning mischievously. "What I know is that this is something you want, and I have it. Now, you can throw that pretty pink bolt of death at me, but," he put his whip away and ignited his hand. "You do that, your little prize dies with me."

I froze for a moment. I still had the Eternals under my command. I could tell them to slaughter this pest. I began to focus on the kill-

"But you know what? You seem to be having a rough go of it, so I'm willing to make a deal. You okay with that?" He asked, his smile now more friendly than hostile.

I kept my hand trained on him, thinking if this was some sort of trick. "Why should I believe you?" I asked.

"Can't give you a reason. Sorry, just being honest. Oh, hey, there's a reason right there! I'm honest!" He said with a laugh.

I chuckled softly. He had a charm to him. For the first time in months, I relaxed slightly.

He stepped forward slowly, making sure he didn't startle me. "Now, it's pretty clear that you're the one in charge of the blue guys down there. That's some seriously powerful magic," he stated. "I don't know how you feel about sharing secrets, but I'll give you the egg if you take me under your wing. You teach me, and I'll help you out with… whatever it is a gorgeous woman like yourself might need me to do." He said, winking at me.

I held back a laugh at his last comment. He was quite the charmer.

"Okay, I'll sweeten the deal," he said, extinguishing his flaming hand. "Now, pretty pink death goes away, please?" He asked.

I let out the laugh I was holding in. "Well, I suppose with a personality like that, I'd be stupid to not take you up on your offer," I replied, letting the energy in my hand dissipate. "I'll let you come along, I suppose.".

He walked up to me and handed me The Gem. "I'm a man of my word, miss…?" He trailed off, giving me a chance to properly introduce myself.

"Vess. Liliana Vess," I answered. "You are a planeswalker, right, mister...?" I added, giving him the same chance to state his name.

"Kerrick Scargraft. And yeah, I think so. I was fighting the blue dudes when I suddenly teleported to a graveyard. Then I came back here. Does that make me a planeswalker?".

"Yes. Now, Mister Scargraft, let's get out of here. I can't imagine your people are too fond of me.".

I must admit, this did not end up the way I thought it would. I thought it would end with blood on stone and a spear through Kerrick's chest. I would have my prize, and he would lose everything.

But, Kerrick proved to be somewhat intelligent. He didn't underestimate my power, and he ended up getting both of us a happy ending to this confrontation.

I might now have to take care of and teach a teenager, but if three centuries have taught me anything, it's that prolonged effort reaps great rewards.

I could use a pyromancer in my future.