Chapter 11: One Soul At A Time

Ob Nixilis

I won't die. Not while there are so many worlds for me to conquer. No. The Necromancer's meddling only infuriated me. I did not perish. I am finality. I am void of life.

And soon, the Multiverse would recognize me as such. I will have Liliana's head, if I need to reduce entire planes to ash. Worlds will tremble before my might. The end will be swift and brutal. One day, that will be reality. But for now, I will settle for fear.

I grinned garishly as my hand burned the face of some unfortunate Ravnican. I had returned to the desecrated plane for one thing: Jace Beleren.

Jace was one of very few people left whom Liliana could even potentially call an ally. She trusts him… enough. I need that trust.

Soon, I came across a sewer cover, and entered into The Undercity. I remembered seeing Jace kissing and sequentially running off with a Gorgon. From what little I know about this worthless world, Gorgons live in The Undercity.

I closed my eyes, and felt the Mana around me. So abundant in life, just like my old prison… but so full of death, as well. I could work with that.

I locked onto one place I sensed more Green Mana than anywhere else. Snarling, I sprinted towards it and-

Suddenly, my feet were yanked out from underneath me, and I found myself suspended in the air above a small group of elves, each of them wearing a variety of different insect carapaces and brandishing vicious weapons.

"Oooooh, looks like a circus boy strayed too far from the tent!" One of the elves said, stepping forward, spinning a pickaxe that had been modified to be more of a weapon than a tool.

"I've never tried demon. What do you reckon he'll taste like?" Another whispered, rubbing its hands together.

"Regardless of the taste, we will eat well tonight." The tallest one said. Looking at his attire compared to the others, he appeared to be the leader of this little group.

"Let me down, you pathetic insects, and I will grant you swift deaths." I snarled.

"Oooooh, he's feisty!" Added a fourth that I didn't see previously.

"Slow and painful. Understood." I said, breaking free from my restraints. I roared at the group before grabbing their leader by the face and branding my palm into his face. Muffled screams could be heard as the figure flailed desperately in my grip, but ceased moments later, now dead in my grasp.

The others tried to escape, but a simple gout of flame reduced them to ash. Pathetic. Worthless. All of them. They will burn for that.

I lashed out with my tail, slicing through one of their legs. I received an agonized scream in response, but that was silenced by a stab through the lung.

The final offender was on his knees in front of me, trembling with terror. "Foolish little flea. There is always a greater power. Unfortunately for you, it is I." I snarled before my claw burst through his ribcage. 

The elf let out a small gasp and brought his hands up to grab my arm, which was now elbow deep in the new cavity in his chest. Soon, my fingers tightened around the pulsating organ I was looking for, and I tore the thing out.

Holding his heart in my hand, I grinned maliciously at my victim. "There is a pun here, but I won't say it. I never was one for words." I said calmly before shoving the quivering mass of muscle into his mouth. His last few moments were spent eating his heart out.

Letting the dead thing collapse, I continued deeper into The Undercity. Despite the maze of pipes and caves, finding the center was easy for me. Simply follow the flow of Mana, and it all converges deeper and deeper.

I eventually found myself looking out upon a buried city, old buildings coated with grime and vines. Hanging above it, I saw a pale orange orb bearing a signet, a dim light glowing within.

I chuckled, and focused on a new color: Blue. I would find the mindmage, even if I have to slaughter this entire necropolis. I didn't have to, as finding him was easy. Now, to get in.

Jace

That was it. She was finally dead.

Liliana Vess was dead. We had The Veil. She wouldn't give that up. Kaya had killed her. It was done.

"This is acceptable, Kaya. Your debt to Ravnica has been repaid. You may resume your duties as Orzhov Guildmaster. Dismissed." Niv-Mizzet said, stretching his wings.

"Thank you, your honor," Kaya said, getting down on one knee. "I promise we won't ever be in this position again.".

The dragon nodded. "Thank you for serving your sentence without any complications. May the Syndicate continue to faithfully serve our fine city.".

Kaya did the same before seeing herself out. Niv-Mizzet let a puff of smoke out and turned his gaze to me. "Thank you for your counsel, Beleren. Even a mind as formidable as mine needs help in getting accustomed to the duties of the Guildpact. Your services are no longer required. You may retire for the night.".

I bowed to the dragon. "Thank you. I wish you all the best in your endeavors, Guildpact.".

"Your words of kindness are readily received. Thank you." Niv said as I left.

I may no longer be The Guildpact, but I am not exempt from the stress of guild interaction. Especially since Vraska and I started getting more serious.

I was Vraska's lover. The Queen of The Golgari. Once feared among all guilds, now a benevolent leader, concerned about the fate of not only The Swarm, but all ten guilds.

After making my way to an Undercity trawler, I caught a ride home to my queen. I wasn't getting any sleep because of this new burden. I pushed aside the thoughts and got ready to join my beloved in bed when I noticed something.

The Erstwhile guards were moving toward the entrance to Svogthos, marching in their methodical, purposeful way. I turned to Vraska as she got up from our bed, covering herself with the sheets. "What is it, Jace?" She asked, wrapping her arms around my neck. "Can't sleep?".

"The Erstwhile… why are they so… busy?" I asked, peering out from between the shades of our tower window.

"They are?" Vraska responded, her tendrils twitching.

"Yes. They're heading towards u-".

Suddenly, the window violently exploded, showering us in shards of glass. A large, winged figure now stood over me, pinning Vraska to the floor with its foot.

Vraska's tendrils thrashed violently, whipping her attacker's leg. The creature growled and grabbed a handful of them, yanking harshly, earning a yelp from Vraska.

"Do not test me, sewer sludge." The creature said in an all too familiar voice.

"Nixilis?" I said, eyes wide. What was he doing on Ravnica?!

The demonic planeswalker looked up at me and grinned, eyes glowing eerily. "Hello, Beleren. Let's talk about your late friend, Miss Liliana Vess.".

"She's dead," I said flatly. "Kaya killed her. We have proof." I added.

Nixilis laughed. "You have her severed head?" He asked, tilting his head in amusement.

"No-"

"THEN YOU HAVE NOTHING!!!" The demon snarled, swiping at me with a claw, only to see it pass through nothing. I had created an illusion of myself while I snuck up behind him with a knife.

The demon caught on quickly, and swatted at me with his spiked tail, making sure he didn't wound me, for some odd reason. "I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT YOUR FORMER MISTRESS IS ALIVE AND WELL, BELEREN, AND YOU'RE GOING TO LISTEN TO EVERY WORD I HAVE TO SAY!" he roared. 

"I have a score to settle, and you are going to help me…" he began, before bringing his clawed fingertips to Vraska's throat. "...Or we're both going to see our first Gorgon heart.".