Chapter 7: The Toll Of The Veil

Liliana, several minutes earlier

I pursue power. I look out for myself. I secure my position in the chronicle of time through ruthlessness and determination.

But why was I so concerned about one boy?

"You've changed, Liliana," The Raven Man observed. "You wouldn't have been off on this little trip a year ago. You would-".

"A hypothetical situation isn't going to help," I interrupted. "He should have been out by now. Something is wrong.".

The Raven Man laughed. "Since when are you so worried about a boy? The unrelenting, merciless Liliana Vess, Mistress of Death, Commander of The Dreadhorde, and Defier of Bolas, tangled up over some boy? After what, an hour in bed with him?".

"Shut up," I snapped. "He has his uses.".

"Yes. As your emotional backbone, apparently.".

"I said shut up!" I yelled at him. With that, The Raven Man dissipated into the night.

I pinched the bridge of my nose and leaned against a dead tree. What was going on in there?

The doors to the chapel suddenly opened, and out walked Kerrick. He had a new air to him. Less like an awkward teen, and more like an ancient and powerful being.

"Kerrick! Tell me the terms of the deal now!" I yelled as I walked closer to him.

As the distance between us became smaller, I saw his eyes were now glowing the same orange as the demon. Kerrick simply ignored me, pulling out his whip.

I should have stayed with him. I shot a bolt of necromantic energy at his hand, causing him to drop his weapon. This move gave me enough time to pull several skeletons from the ground beneath us, creating a barrier of bones between us.

"Kerrick, what in Urza's name did you agree to?!" I shouted angrily.

The demon from inside the chapel appeared above me, cackling maniacally. "He agreed to help me avenge all the fallen planeswalkers who died because of your machinations," it said, landing behind Kerrick.

"Who are you?!" I demanded, readying more energy.

"Merely a planeswalker trying to get by, Miss Vess. You and the dragon were a thoroughly unwelcome surprise. So now, I've come to collect a toll for the inconvenience.".

"Let me guess, you told Kerrick to kill me, and then you would give him eternal life?" I said, unimpressed by the negotiating prowess of the demon. "But he didn't take the deal. So, instead, you filled his head with lies to kindle a hatred for me that didn't exist to begin with.".

The demon laughed. "There were no lies involved, Vess. I simply made his doubts seem more plausible.".

I glared at him and threw one of the bolts at him, sending him plummeting to the ground, roaring in agony. "Enough talk. If you know me, you know I have more than enough experience killing demons. Just stand still and I'll make this… No. I'm going to make you suffer.".

"NOT IF YOUR PET GETS YOU FIRST!" The demon barked, getting to his feet and pointing at me, letting out a guttural shout. Kerrick advanced toward me, murder in his eyes.

I waved my troupe of skeletons over to Kerrick, and they immediately tackled him. He fought and killed many of them, but more were already marching toward him. Now I had all the time I needed to dispose of the infernal interloper.

"I AM OB NIXILIS, YOU INSOLENT HAG! I AM THE FACE OF YOUR TORMENT! I AM THE END COMPLETE! I WILL CRUSH YOU JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER INSECTS WHO CAME BEFORE YOU!" The demon roared, throwing a bolt of his own magic at me.

The bolt grazed my leg and sent pain shooting through my entire body. I screamed and grasped the wound. "NOW YOU WILL SEE JUST HOW FUTILE YOUR CONQUESTS ARE, LILIANA. ALL LIFE ENDS. THE HARBINGER OF DEATH LIVES FOREVER." Nixilis sneered, preparing to smite me where I knelt.

I laughed at him, causing him to pause. "You laugh?!" He asked, infuriated by my unexpected reaction.

I laughed again as my spell surged through the earth beneath my hand. "You think I am not a harbinger of death?!" I retorted, getting to my feet and putting on The Chain Veil.

The demon must have realized what I was wearing, as his eyes widened in surprise. "The Chain Veil!" He said in surprise, confirming my suspicion.

I smiled viciously beneath The Veil. A bolt of death magic sent the demon to the ground again, this time accompanied by a deafening chorus of moans.

Nixilis was helpless, wingless on the ground, and too exhausted to planeswalk to safety. A look of sheer terror invaded his face as an army of undead erupted from the earth around him, slowly advancing toward him.

"You're right, Nixilis. But I'm not a harbinger," I shouted, urging the dead to advance on their meal.

"I AM DEATH ITSELF.".

The zombies were on top of him moments later, but as they touched him, they crumbled. 

"You're going to need more than living dead to kill me," he taunted. "Two can play this game.".

I gritted my teeth and prepared myself for what I knew would be a draining assault. "But only one can walk away!" I shouted, sending a hail of energy at him.

Each impact left a withered patch of flesh on the demon, each of which began to slowly spread. He tried to heal himself, but failed to notice the returning zombies.

The first one grabbed what was left of his right wing and sank its rotten teeth into it, causing Nixilis to scream. As he went to fend off the first, another latched onto his left bicep, tearing at it hungrily.

After that, I lost count. So many of the dead clambered towards the enraged demon, each eager to get a bite. Soon there was nothing left of him but his helmet.

I grinned at his remains and removed The Veil, only to find it covered in blood. I stared in horror, before noticing my hand was also stained crimson. My scars suddenly blossomed into agony, wracking my body with unfathomable pain.