2

I think it's been a month since I was taken away from Mama and Daddy and brought here. And I didn't like it at all.

I didn't want to speak English, so I stuck with French. Because why not?

I often stayed up in my room, practicing my spells. Daddy always says practice makes perfect, and I was determined practice, so I would be good and I can escape. This place wasn't bad, but, I wanted to go home. Home to Mama, home to Daddy.

Today, the lady, whom I came to learn as Mrs Smith, told me that there was a couple coming, wanting to adopt. And she wanted me to look nice. What was the point of looking nice if I wasn't going to be adopted?

But I still dressed nice. As nice as I can. I didn't have much clothes after all.

I made my way down, where all the other kids were waiting. A couple walking in a few minutes later.

The women glanced at me and pulled the man over.

"Hi, little one. What's your name?" She asked kindly.

"I'm Peter." I responded, blinking my brown eyes at her own brown eyes.

The lady smiled and left to see the other kids, but I noticed she didn't really smile kindly at them as she did to me. Hope flared in me. Maybe she would adopt me?

Wait no. Why are you thinking about being adopted? Daddy and Mama are still alive! I scolded myself.

But still. I want to leave this place.

The lady and the man came back. The lady turned to Mrs Smith, and said softly. "I want him."

Mrs Smith nodded, clearly pleased. "He speaks a different language sometimes, though. I don't think he's fluent in English."

I was indignant. Of course I was fluent in English! Daddy made sure I had the best English teachers! But can't I even use my own native tongue to talk?

The lady smiled. "Oh, it's fine. We can teach him."

I don't need teaching!

The lady turned to me. "I'm May, and this is my husband, Ben. We're your new guardians, okay?"

"D-do I have to call you Mom and Dad?" To be honest, I didn't want to. They weren't my Mama or Daddy!

May shook her head.

"Can I call you Aunt May?" I asked timidly.

May grinned. "Sure, Peter. Now let's get you home."

I nodded.

May and Ben weren't Mama and Daddy, but they are nice. It's a start. A start to reuniting with Daddy and Mama, hopefully.