Equals

I hugged the knit sweater I wore closer to me and walked through the hallways, towards Liam's study. Behind the door, I could hear multiple people talking. I thought if I should come back later, or go in now.

Come in. Well that answers that. I opened the door and stepped in, just like Liam had ordered. He sat behind the desk, impatiently tapping a pen against a sheet of paper. At my arrival, everyone's eyes were on me.

"Hi," I spoke clearly and everyone nodded with respect. I walked towards Liam and stopped behind his shoulder.

"You may have some of my men, if they volunteer. If they don't, I'm not going to force them help you," Liam spoke, that tone of authority making me shiver. The three wolves in the room, that I had never seen before, nodded.

"When will we find out if you have any volunteers at all?" one of the men asked. He seemed to be in charge.

"Today. I'll ask my men and if they volunteer, I'll send them to you with a letter tonight. If not, no one will come," Liam answered.

"We appreciate it, Alpha Liam," the man said with a bow. "We will be on our way then. It was a pleasure Alpha." Then he turned to me and bowed as well. "Luna."

The three men walked out of the office. As soon as the door closed, Liam pulled me onto his lap and I giggled. He had a childish smile on his face as he wrapped his arms around my waist. I shifted a bit, so I was straddling him.

"What do we have here then?" he asked mockingly and stroked my cheek with his thumb. I sighed and leaned into his touch.

"You called for me. So what's up?" I asked and smiled at him. He nuzzled his nose into the crook of my neck and kissed my skin briefly.

"We have a matter to discuss really," Liam said and pulled back slightly, to look me in the eyes. I gulped nervously and nodded, telling him to continue. He placed both of his hands on the side of my neck and pulled me closer to kiss my lips briefly. Then once more. And once more.

"Liam," I chuckled. "You're distracting me and you're making me even more nervous," I whispered against his lips. He pulled away a bit with a playful smirk and nodded.

"You're technically still a rogue," he stated. I looked down at his chest, and my finger trailed the line of his body. I knew it was coming, but I didn't want it to come so fast. We were gonna fight probably.

"Yes, I am aware of that," I finally answered and looked up, meeting his eyes, with a serious look. I tried to keep my thoughts innocent, if he were to listen. Like rainbows and butterflies and shit.

He placed his hands on my hips and tilted his head to the side. "So you need to go through the ritual," he stated. "I'll have some wolves set it up for a few days away from today."

"Wait." I quickly said and looked down again. I was afraid. And being this close to him wasn't helping me out, not at all. He was actually quite distractive, even without kissing me. I sighed and slid off of his lap and walked around the table. His eyes followed me with worry. I felt hurt in his own emotions and I bit my lip nervously.

"I don't want to join this pack," I finally stated and kept my eyes on the floor, in front of the table.

"What? Why?" he asked in shock and stood up from the seat, so he was standing on the other side of the table.

I didn't want to make him angry, or make him regret ever even having me as his mate. "I'm not fit for this pack, Liam. I can't... do it," I said.

"Do what? You're this pack's Luna. You are fit," he argued, leaning forward on his hands across the table. "Look at me when you talk to me, Kathryn. And stop messing around with your thoughts, for God's sake!" I jumped at his suddenly loud voice and looked up to meet his eyes.

"Liam, you kill packs to get what you want! I can't do that! I'm not a monster!" I hissed and he glared at me.

"So I am?" he snapped. "Am I a monster, Kathryn?"

My hands shook beside me as I stared into his grey eyes. "Why did you kill them? That pack? And Adam. Why did you have him killed?"

He shot me a deadly look. "Don't go there, Kathryn," he warned me.

"Why not? I have every right to know, Liam! If I am the Luna, why can't I know?" I hissed.

"You still obey me! I outrank you."

"I've never wanted to be a Luna, that's one of the things I know. But what I also know, is that mates are equal. A Luna is equal with the Alpha. You don't outrank me in anything!" I fought. I knew it would come out to him trying to control me again. It made my heartache, fighting with him, but I needed answers and I needed my point to be made clear for him.

"Stop it! Don't fight me!" he growled. I looked at him in shock and took a step back, before my shock turned into a glare directed at him.

"I won't join this pack," I stated finally and walked out of the office, closing the door behind me. As soon as the door closed, first tears ran down my cheeks and I walked down the hallway. 

Multiple emotions coursed through me, making my head ache.

Guilt.

Heartbreak.

Anger.

Sadness.

And grief.

I went to the one place I thought I'll be safe from all these emotions. I was about to knock, when the door opened and Ivy stared at me. She frowned and pulled me inside, locking the door afterwards. I didn't have to say anything. She just understood and let me cry on her shoulder.