Stirring Drama Like Soup

Nineteen. I'm only nineteen.

I sat on the bed, legs criss-cross and my elbows leaning against my knees. My face was buried in my hands and I let out a shaky breath. I was going to have to learn, tell people. I had to suffer nine months of side-effect, cravings and, what's the worst for a female wolf, moodswings. I could literally nuzzle my nose into one's hair at one moment and the next, without even a word needed, I would try to rip his or her head off.

There were voices behind the door, but I didn't move. I switched my thought however, repeating "lemons, apples, watermelons" in my head. The door opened and, saying goodbye to someone, Liam walked inside the room. I heard the door close and then he was at my side.

"Kathryn? Are you okay?" he asked hurriedly. I looked up and faked a smile.

"Everything is quite okay." Lemons, apples, watermelons. "How was your day?" He eyed me weirdly before sighing and sitting calmly next to me. 

"It was alright. Fredric and I came to an agreement and he and his pack are coming tomorrow, the fastest possible. And then there were some reports of unwanted visitors at the West border, but they were so far away and left quite quickly," he spoke and began unbuttoning his shirt. I was already stripped to my shorts and bra.

He froze unbuttoning his shirt and stared at me. "What did Heavenly say?"

I turned my face back into my palms and rubbed my eyes. "I'm tired. I'll tell you about it tomorrow," I answered and shifted upwards on the bed, towards the edge of the duvet. He grabbed my wrist and I looked up.

"Kathryn..."

Lemons, apples, watermelons.

"Will you please stop that pointless chant in your head?" he begged and looked at me with dark grey eyes. I licked my lips and stopped. My mind was filled with complete emptiness. "Now, you can shortly tell me what she said."

I gulped. Lemons, apples, watermelons. "I'm tired, Liam. Please. I'll tell you tomorrow, first thing in the morning," I swore. He sighed and let go of my hand.

"Okay, okay."

I bit my lip and scooted closer to him. He was taking off his pants and I placed my hands on his bare shoulders. "Don't be angry with me," I begged. He sighed and straightened his head, gently shrugging my hands off. 

"I'm not angry, merely disappointed," he spoke sharply and stood up walking around the bed and towards the bathroom. I stared at the place he had just sat in shock and then shook myself out of it.

"Why?"

His answer came from somewhere in the bathroom. "You should be able to talk to me about these kind of things, Kathryn. That's why I'm here. And I invited Heavenly to check your health and now you won't even tell me what she said!"

I closed my eyes for a second and stood up from the bed walking to the doorway of the bathroom. He was at the sink, washing his face. "You're blowing this too big."

He stared at me through the mirror. "I'm blowing this too big? What are you doing? Why won't you just tell me?" He shook his head and grit his teeth together. "For fuck's sake... Kathryn, whatever it is, you can tell me. You can always tell me."

His eyes shifted around and when they found mine in the mirror again, they softened. "Kathryn, d-don't--" he croaked and I quickly lifted my hands to my eyes, wiping away the few tears.

"I'm sorry. Sorry," I mumbled and returned to the bathroom. I climbed under the covers and almost entirely pulled the duvet over my head. The lights went out and then Liam climbed under the covers as well, right next to me.

"Kathryn." I shifted the duvet off of my head and stared at him through the darkness. He lifted his hand to my cheek and tucked away a loose strand of hair. "I love you, so much. But you really know how to tap dance on my nerves."

I took a shaky breath and leaned into his touch. "Sorry," I repeated.

"Are you going to tell me now?"

I nodded almost unnoticeably. He was about to lift his hand from my cheek, but I placed mine above his and held it against my cheek. "It's gonna be a long nine months," I spoke, hinting something. He frowned, not quite understanding, but then it hit him. Like a ton of bricks and he gasped.

"You're--"

"Yes."

"And I'm--"

"Obviously."

"How?"

I chuckled dryly. "Did you expect anything else to come out of it all? I was on my heat, we had eight hours of unprotected sex, Liam. Eight hours, Liam. Something had to make it to the checkpoint."

He let out a loud laugh, louder than I had expected and his eyes shone with something gone unexplained for me. "This is... It's great news, Kathryn," he grinned from ear to ear and shifted closer to me. I stared at him through the darkness and he frowned. "Is it not?"

I cleared my throat quickly. "Of course it is, Liam. Just... Unexpected. I thought it would at least take a few more years or something," I answered quickly. He cupped my face between his palms and pressed a kiss on my lips.

"If your own age is what worries you, I can assure you that you'll be the most wonderful mother ever. This child will be just lucky to have you to raise him or her," Liam whispered and pulled me tightly against him.

"But isn't it at an unappropriate timing? I mean with the threat and all," I asked, chewing lightly on the inside of my cheek. He shook his head.

"I would never let anything happen to you or my child, Kathryn. Never. And I'm sure the rest of the pack will feel the same way, once they find out."

I widened my eyes. "No, don't tell them yet," I hurriedly said.

He frowned and searched my eyes for some sort of answer, but, even if there was one written in them, it went unseen to him in the darkness. "Why?"

"Let's just wait a little bit. Just a little."