[2] Purpose.

He slowly leaned forward, feeling every part of his body tremble with adrenaline. As his feet were no longer in contact with the roof edge, he could feel the fear taking over his entire being. It was one of those times when you just know you are going to die. Any trace of thought left his mind, and the only thing he was focusing on was the ground quickly approaching him. There was no past, no future, just the present. Everything was happening so fast !

     As his widened eyes saw the road about to meet his face, he just knew that was it. But the impact did not come where he expected it to come from. Instead, it was softer than he would have thought, and it came from his left side. 

     And soon enough, he was flying. 

     Looking up, he couldn't believe his eyes. 

     Blaze.

     Blaze as in the superhero of the town. As in Vendetta's enemy. As in the reason Vendetta was in that situation in the first place. 

     The shock of almost having died seemed to influence the super-villain's reflexes, as he was not even able to struggle against Blaze's warm arms. He was just staring up at him, his mind blank, trying to process what was going on. 

     As the hero came to a stop, on the roof of another building, he shoved the villain out of his hold, who in turn stumbled and fell down. He quickly got up and turned around, facing the hero. 

     "What sort of twisted up plan of yours is this ?" Blaze asked with a frown on his face. 

     Vendetta slowly managed to process what just happened. The superhero... saved him...

     "Huh ?" He replied, as confused as one could be in a situation like that.

     Blaze recognized Vendetta in his super-villain appearance which consisted of : a black leather vest with a hood, black skinny jeans, army boots, leather gloves and his dark brown hair slicked down. He also used to wear eyeliner so there would be less of a chance to be recognised while showing up as a human. From his chin to below his eyes, his face was covered with an iron mask, which went all the way to the back of his head, where it was closed with a mechanism that would require pressing 3 buttons in the right order for it to lock / unlock. He was tall, slender, pale and even though he wasn't able to fly, his agility covered that up.  It would have been impossible for the hero not to recognize him as the supervillain he was, seeing as they know -and fight- each other since they were kids. Why would the hero save him? 

     The more Vendetta thought about the situation, the more the smirk behind his mask was getting wider. 

     "You have a soft spot for me, don't you ?" He asked, his eyes narrowing with interest. He could definitely take advantage of that. 

     The hero just stared at him, as he tried to search for a legit reason the villain would have done that. He thought he did that just to see if the hero did actually have a soft spot for him, or to get his attention so he could take him by surprise. Yet, he couldn't bring himself to think Vendetta would actually risk his life for such thing.

     "What's going on... " He had to admit that he was utterly confused. He knew Vendetta and his brother's way of playing with people's minds. They would have been able to take over the world any time, with their clever plans, but the only thing pulling them down would be the fact that superheroes had more power than the villains. Vendetta's brother was in another city, and Blaze was grateful for that. One clever mind was enough to deal with. Besides, Vendetta wasn't exactly harmless. He performed sorcery, and his weapon was a pack of steel cards. His element was darkness, while Blaze's was fire.