Afraid

EL'S POV:

I ran out of school and back home. I had broken one of Hopper's rules. I opened the cabin door and slammed it shut.

MIKE'S POV:

Troy and I walked toward Mr. Clark. 

"Troy Harrington and Mike Wheeler..." Mr. Clark said disappointed.

Mr. Clark took us to his classroom.

"I won't tell the Principal if you promise to tell me the truth," Mr. Clark said.

"Fine." Troy and I said in unison.

"Why did you and Troy start fighting?" Mr. Clark asked me.

"Troy hurt my girlfriend," I said looking at Troy.

"I have no idea what he is talking about! I haven't hurt anyone." Troy said trying to lie.

"Yes, he did! And so did Stacey!" I yelled.

"Mike...calm down..." Mr. Clark said placing his hand on my shoulder.

"How did Troy and Stacey hurt your girlfriend?" Mr. Clark asked.

"Stacey trapped El in a cabin, then Troy sealed it up with tape and glue. El was trapped in a sealed cabin with barely any food for 24 hours, in a storm! I found her the next morning, knocked out, with dried blood on her forehead! She told me she was knocked out by a plank of wood falling from the roof!" I said angrily.

"Troy? Is this true?" Mr. Clark asked.

"Uh...no! He's lying!" Troy yelled.

"Do you have any proof, Mike?" Mr. Clark asked.

"Look at El's head! She has a bandage from the injury! She told me everything! Plus, Dustin, Lucas and Will helped me find her!" I yelled.

"I will follow up with Stacey,  El, Dustin, Lucas, and Will, but for now, you both get detention." Mr. Clark said.

I stormed out of the classroom and headed outside.

EL'S POV:

I can't believe I broke one of Hopper's rules...he will never let me go back to school again!

I ran into my bedroom and grabbed the phone.

"Please....please pick up..." I said. I heard someone answer the phone.

"Hello? This is the Byers residence..." Joyce said. 

"Hey, Joyce...It's me..El..." I said. Joyce could tell that I was upset.

"Hey, El. What's up?" Joyce asked in a concerned voice.

"I seriously messed up. Can I come over to your place?" I asked, hoping she would say yes.

"Well, I'm at work, but lucky for you my shift ends in 20 minutes. How about you head over to my place, and I will come home when my shift ends?" Joyce asked.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Of course," Joyce said. 

"See you soon," Joyce said before hanging up.

I put the phone back the holder and wrote a note on the bench. 

I started walking towards Joyce's house.

------

After 15 minutes, I finally arrived at Joyce's house. I looked under one of the broken floorboards, looking for the jar that holds a spare house key. Joyce told me where the spare key is, just in case I needed a place to stay.

I got the key and unlocked the front door. I placed the key back into the jar and put the jar back under the floorboard.

I entered the house and shut the door behind me. I sat on Joyce's couch, waiting for her to come home. 5 minutes later I heard the front door open.

"Hey, sweetie..." Joyce said walking over to me.

"Hi..." I said. I felt like I was about to cry.

"Do you want anything to drink?" Joyce asked. I nodded and asked for tea. As the kettle boiled, Joyce sat down and held my hand.

"What's going on? Did Hopper say something? Did Mike do something?" Joyce asked. 

I took a deep breath and spoke. "I broke one of Hopper's rules." 

Joyce looked around and sighed. "What was this rule?" 

"I had to behave..." I said.

"And how did you not behave?" Joyce asked.

"I used my powers at school. In front of everyone..." I said as my eyes teared up.

"Oh...sweetie..." Joyce said as she pulled me into a hug.

"I disobeyed him. He's gonna be so pissed! I can't tell him..." I said crying.

"How did you use your powers and why?" Joyce asked.

"I lifted Troy Harrington and Stacey Brenner into the air. I also threw a girl across the room." I said.

"I did it because...well...Troy and Stacey had trapped me in Hopper's cabin and Mike wanted to get revenge, plus the girl was being rude toward me. As soon as I realized what I had done...I ran to Hopper's cabin." I said.

"Well...what you did was very dangerous and stupid, but I can't blame you for wanting to defend yourself and Mike..." Joyce said looking at me.

"I can't bear to stay alone...and I can't bear to stay with Mike so is it ok if I stay here for a while, or at least until Hopper comes home?" I asked.

"Of course..." Joyce said smiling.

"I will call the school and excuse you for the rest of the day," Joyce said as she headed to her phone. She called the school and informed them that I was going to be absent for the rest of the day.

------

MIKE'S POV:

At the end of the day, I headed straight to Hopper's cabin. I opened the door.

"El? Are you ok?" I asked. No answer.

"El?!" I yelled. Still no answer.

I looked over at the bench and I saw a note. I picked up the note and looked at it.

Whoever reads this,

If you're looking for me, I am at Joyce's house, and I am staying there for a while. 

-El

I scrunched up the note and chucked it in the bin. I got on my bike and headed straight to Will's place. I knocked on the door. Joyce answered.

"Hey, Mike...what brings you here? If you're here for Will, he's at Dustin's." Joyce said.

"No. I'm not here for Will. I'm here for El. I know she is here. I saw her note." I said.

"Well...she isn't in the mood to talk at the moment," Joyce said.

"Joyce, please. I need to see her." I said desperately.

"Mike..." Joyce said.

"Please," I begged. She opened the door fully and let me in.

"Joyce? Who is--" El said before I cut her off with a hug.

"I missed you. I thought you were hurt. You just ran off..." I said.

"I know...and I'm sorry..." El said pulling away.