The Party

It was Friday, the day Arthur had picked for his party.

Jenna was in her bedroom trying on different dresses; she was trying to find the one that hugged her curves best. As soon as she hopped out of the shower, she blow dried her hair and then curled it; she wanted to make sure she looked her nicest. She put on a spot of makeup, but she made sure she still looked natural. She stepped out in front of her flat mates and asked then what they thought.

"You're gorgeous... Richard isn't going to be able to keep his hands off of you!" Freema said.

"You're a total babe! You have to let me borrow that dress sometime!" Billie said.

Jenna thanked her friends for their kind comments. She stood in front of her mirror; even though her friends had said she was gorgeous, she didn't feel it. Inside she felt empty, so that was how she viewed herself on the outside as well. She grabbed her clutch, and her phone. She noticed that Richard had texted her and that he was waiting outside for her; Freema and Billie would be leaving later. She hurried downstairs and he greeted her with a kiss that she was hesitant to return. The entire time they were in the car, Jenna didn't listen to anything Richard said, all she could think about was how was she going to tell Richard she loved Matt... And how was she going to tell Matt she loved him...

She leaned her head against the cold window and closed her eyes. Richard continued to talk but she ignored him. Occasionally she would say "oh really?" or "that's cool"at the appropriate times, but she had no idea what he was talking about. The drive to the party felt endless, but maybe that was because she couldn't wait to see Matt. He heart started pounding in her chest the instant they pulled up to Arthur's house. The party was casual; people walked up to his door in jeans and flannels; Jenna looked down at her dress and felt a bit comfortable because she had over dressed.

Richard noticed the uneasy look in her eyes and said "you look lovely babe," and gently kissed her temple. They walked up to the front door with a group of other people, and Arthur happily welcomed everyone in. The 1975 was playing in the background and some people were dancing to the upbeat songs, while others sat on the couch, chatted, and had a few drinks. Everyone seemed to be in good spirits.

Jenna looked around and saw Matt leaning against a wall with a red solo cup in his hand. He looked like he was alone, she decided that it would be the best time to approach him. She crossed the room, a big smile on her face as she got closer to Matt; she then stopped dead in her tracks as she saw Matt wrap his arm around a blonde haired girl before leaning in to kiss her.