Chapter 5 - Harlow

Last night I couldn't get much sleep. It seemed like every time I close my eyes, I'd see two hooded figures following me and no matter how hard I tried to get away from them they always seemed to be right behind me, ready to attack. I'd wake up sweating profusely and tried to control my heart rate but that was a struggle to do. I'd do my breathing exercises to calm myself down and it'd work for a little while and as I try to doze off again I have the same nightmare. It felt almost claustrophobic being alone in this room and I felt a sudden urge to push the buzzer for a nurse to come in, but I was too embarrassed. Before I knew it, the sun was shining through my window and I finally felt like I could breathe again. A nurse came in to check on me at 7 in the morning and checked my vitals giving me the all clear. I was given some fruit salad and whole grain for breakfast which tasted bland, but it definitely beat the protein bars I usually had.

I lay in my hospital bed staring up at the ceiling feeling sorry for myself. I thought about my life and how it all would have come to an end and came to the realisation that I was given a second chance to finally live it. When a nurse came in to take my tray I asked for some paper and a pen. She left and came back a few minutes later with the supplies and I carefully sat up in my hospital bed and thought about all the things that I wanted to do before I died. A bucket list of sorts. I just kept writing and writing and before long, I had almost two pages full.

"My bucket list"

1. Go to University
2. Make friends
3. Go to the cinemas
4. Buy a new wardrobe
5. Find somewhere else to live
6. Bungee jump
7. Learn how to dance
8. Take cooking lessons
9. Get a tattoo
10. Go to a party
11. Meet new people
12. Go on a plane
13. Go on holiday at least once a year
14. Go fishing
15. Go camping
16. Get my hair and nails done
17. Get drunk
18. Go to a restaurant
19. Gamble
20. Try dating

The list went on and on showing that I had written 50 things in 30 minutes. I had just finished reading through it when there was a knock at the door. I looked up and saw that it was Ashton. I couldn't help the smile that reached my face. I motioned for him to come in and he walked over and took a seat by my bed. He looked devilishly handsome in a plain black tee that hugged his muscles and dark jeans that fit him perfectly, the outfit was a huge contrast to the suits that he wore at work but the man could wear anything and still look like a God. I watched silently as he grabbed the portable tray by my bed and started unloading a few containers of food.

"Good morning Miss - Harlow, how are you feeling?" he asked and I paused at the sound of him saying my name. This was probably the first time he has ever addressed me as anything other than Miss Stevens or his personal assistant. I liked the sound of him saying my name. Something was seriously wrong with me to be noticing every little thing about him. I needed to snap out of it ASAP.

"Good morning. I'm doing fine thank you. What's all this?" I asked pointing at all the food he brought with him.

"This is breakfast," he chuckled. "MJ and her best friend Aurora just got back from their trip around Europe and we had a feast of sorts to welcome them home. It's also Gideon's birthday today so mum made more food than usual. I packed some for you. I heard that hospital food isn't the greatest," he said scrunching up his face looking...adorable.

"Wow. Thank you so much, you didn't have to. Please thank your mother, I hope it wasn't any trouble."

"It wasn't. She was happy to make something for you. She wanted to be here but she has a welcome home party and birthday to cater for so it's just me."

"Thank you. This definitely beats what I had earlier. Feel free to have some, I don't think I can finish all this food," I said looking at the containers filled with scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, French toast and diced fruit. I was almost salivating at how delicious everything looked.