Chapter 13

Y/n L/n's POV

"AAAAAHHHHHH!!!"

A toe-curling scream forced my mouth open when I almost got burned to a crisp by the raging orbs of fire Sir Park was throwing at us.

It's only our second day and they're already trying to fucking kill us!

I was right about not letting my guard down. Only a magic academy would throw their students on a field and have their instructor nearly kill them.

We were currently having our magic training, and for today's daily dose of torture, agility exercises were served to us on a golden platter.

The goal was to reach the finish line that was drawn on the other side of the field while avoiding the several spells our instructor was casting our way, all without using magic.

It was a simple challenge. The only complaint I had was the absurdity of it all. The magic ban ruins the whole purpose of this class!

I dodged the incoming sphere of flames, ducking down and watching as it landed on someone else. It's only been a few minutes since we started, but half of my class was already trudging their way to the infirmary.

The field was ridiculously long, almost the same length as the one Taeyeon owned. It was obvious most of my classmates weren't used to running, which explains why so many of us kept getting wiped out each minute.

They were practically useless without their magic. Is this why Sir Park is making us do this? To train our physical abilities?

"This class aims to improve your skills at magic, but it won't entirely focus on that aspect alone. In order for your magic to grow, the vessel that is your body must grow along with it"

We looked back after hearing Sir Park starting a lecture while floating above the starting line, casually launching another attack at us.

"What happens when you continuously fill a glass without stopping?"

"It overflows?" I yelled out an answer to his simple question.

"Correct. If you don't get a bigger glass, the water will overflow. It's very similar to what happens when you're constantly improving your magic without improving your vessel" He says in a matter-of-factly tone before proceeding to drop a shocking fact that I already knew about.

"In other words, your body will weaken due to the overflowing magic it cannot contain, or in some rare cases, you will explode"

"What!?" The others yelled in absolute horror. A look of disbelief washed over their face. And when Sir Park's serious expression did not change, that disbelief turned into dread as they immediately began speeding up.

All of us were beginning to put in more effort into succeeding this challenge, as if crossing the finish line first will save us from bursting into a bloody mess.

It was one hell of a struggle, really. Earlier, all I had to do was reach the other side of the field while dodging Sir Park's attacks, but now that everyone's determination had gone over the roof, I now had to deal with people trying to grab, jab, and slow me down.

Thanks to the horrendous physical training Ms. IU put me through and my usual routine of running 20 laps around Taeyeon's field, I was doing a pretty good job at this race.