Coming of Age

Dragonstone Manor 1802 AC

It was the morning of her eighteenth name day. Dany had woken to the sound of Rhaneys light snores. Rhaenys had recently returned from Dorne with both her cousins Arianne and Quentyn frogface Martell. Just the thought of the boy made Dany's skin crawl.

She hated the way he looked at her and worst her brother had been trying to convince their father for the last three years to let her marry the young man, since Doran Martell was willing to offer four thousand gold dragons a year to marry his son.

I would rather run off an escape to the free cities of Essos, than subject my body to him.

Getting out of bed slowly trying her best not to wake Rhaenys, Dany walked over towards the small rose-colored vanity at the corner of the small room she and Rhaenys shared. As she stared at herself.

She was now a year older, a young lady who many would consider ready for society,

but if any of them knew the truth, they would've known that Daenerys Targaryen was terrified at her prospects.

Rhaneys had been out in society for four years now, with no prospects at garnering a husband.

Both girls had no sufficient dowry for a rich lord to want to marry them.

It seemed both would be left to whatever abuse her brother Viserys would put them through once their father was gone and Dragonstone turned over to him, since her older brother Rhaegar turned away from his duty at becoming lord of Dragonstone. Instead Rhaegar decided to travel the world.

That was how he met Rhaenys mother Elia. He had been stationed in Dorne when they met, and ran away together and got married which pissed the Martell family off.

Elia's brother Doran Martell had wanted his sister to marry Baelor Hightower from The Reach or Jaime Lannister who was the heir to Casterly Rock.

What little money her father had from being a merchant, had to be used in order to pay the Martell's when they demanded Elia's dowry in full.

If that wasn't bad enough her father felt slighted by Rhaegar. He felt with Rhaegar's charms and beauty he could've fetched a hefty dowry for his first-born son. Their father had his eyes set on matching Rhaegar with Cersei Lannister of Casterly Rock.

The young lady at the time like many other young ladies were infatuated with her brother's silvered hair and deep indigo eyes. It didn't help that Rhaegar played the harp and sang so well that whoever heard him, stopped just to look and listen to the young lord.

Lady Cersei had even begged her father Tywin Lannister for the match. But Rhaegar refused the match, calling Cersei Lannister, an ice queen with no personality.

No matter how much their father pleaded with Rhaegar for the match.

Tywin had even offered seven thousand gold dragons a year for her dowry. But her brother would not listen. Instead Rhaegar ran off in the middle of the night, joining the Royal Navy and left both their parents heartbroken.

While Cersei ended up marrying the whore of Storm's End Robert Baratheon. A man who enjoyed taking maiden heads as much as he enjoyed his whores and wine.

It wasn't until Rhaegar finally returned home two years later with a little girl in hand. That all was forgiven. The girl's mother had been lost at sea; her ship was on its way back to Dorne from visiting her young brother Oberyn in Old Town. when it was attacked by Iron-born pirates not far from land.