second sign

You find yourself always talking about him or her.

-

"Wait," Your cousin stops you halfway through your little story time. "So are you and Jaehyun dating now?"

You make a face at her, "No. He's still, and will always be, just my best friend."

While your father is back in town for his three-month vacation, his external family members called for a reunion at some resort for two days. You're lounging by the pool with your cousins, drinking spiked fruit juices and sharing the recent happenings of your lives.

"You've been talking about him for the past 30 minutes when we literally just asked what college you plan to attend to." Your other cousin pipes up, giggling into her glass.

"I..." You pause, trying to backtrack. You remember giving them your top three choices, but you're not exactly sure why you ended up talking about Jaehyun's possible varsity scholarships. "Well, his life is more interesting than mine and I wouldn't want to bore you."

Your cousins share a look with one another, "Yeah, sure." They dismissed.

"What was that look about?"

"[Y/N], every time we get together, you'll always end up talking about Jaehyun. We can't blame you if you start liking him as more than just a friend."

You pout, "But I really don't--"

"Okay, okay," One of them waved her hands, "Prom season is around the corner, right? Any plans?"

"I plan to go, just not with a date. Plenty of girls have approached me to tell them when Jaehyun gets one, but I don't think he plans on taking a date, either. So him, along with other stag friends, might just get a table to ourselves."

"And your dress?"

"Mom said we'll be shopping for one this weekend if she's free, but if not, I'll probably ask Jaehyun to come with me. He's already got a suit, I think it's his dad's, but he says he wants a different tie so we'll be getting it with my dress."

Your cousin hums, "Is Tanner doing fine?"

Tanner is your 3 year old golden labrador. She keeps you company whenever Jaehyun isn't around and when you don't want to bother his mom while she does some chores.

"She had surgery over a month ago. She ate a part of her toy, but she's doing good. I wanted to take her along when I found out the resort allows pets, but I figured Jaehyu--" You catch your cousins both look away and stifle laughter. Immediately, your cheeks are burning as if they caught on fire. "I-I mean, she's such a troublemaker, though so I didn't bother..."

One of your cousins burst out into laughter, "[Y/N]! You literally cannot stop talking about him!"

"W-well, so what? It doesn't mean anything." You grumble, but for a second, you doubt yourself, "Right?"