tenth sign

You lose track of time when you're with each other.

-

"It feels like I haven't talked to you in forever." Jaehyun nearly gave you a heart attack as he suddenly sits beside you on the stairs of the fire escape. He places a tupperware of brownies between your frames. "Mom just made these. She told me to share them with you."

You try not to react that much. Ever since you confessed to your mothers about your feelings for Jaehyun, they promised not to meddle but you can't help but feel that they're doing everything they can for you two to spend more time with each other. "How did you know I was here?"

"Your mom told me."

"Of course." You thought, resisting the urge to roll your eyes and picking a piece of the brownies he brought. It was still warm and moist, just like how you preferred them.

"Have you been avoiding me?"

You almost choke on the fudge, passing your panic off as a laugh, "Why would I avoid you? We literally go to school together."

Jaehyun shrugs, taking a brownie for himself, "I don't know. It feels like we haven't hung out as much or... maybe it's just me."

"Aw," You coo, "You miss me. Well, sorry, I didn't notice what's been happening around me because somehow Joohyun roped me into heading the Valentine's Day booth and heads up, I think she's planning to have you handle White day's booth. I can't believe I have to sell the chocolates that you'll probably end up sharing with me at the end of the day."

He laughs, tossing the remaining bit of his brownie into his mouth. "If I could skip school that day, I would."

"Take me with you." You whined, licking the fudge off your thumb.

"Of course. We could go somewhere we can abuse birthday discounts." He offers, nose wrinkling in amusement as he watched you giggle.

When your laughter dies, both of you sit in comfortable silence and watch the sunset sky transition into twilight. You ought to head back in since it would be cold soon, but like Jaehyun said, you haven't hung out with him like this in awhile. Although it's true Joohyun got you to take charge of the Valentine's Day booth, she never forced you. She asked once and you agreed, effectively taking up your time so you could take a breather from Jaehyun. You needed something to take you mind off of him; especially after he tells you that the date was fun and the girl was nice—even though he said he doesn't see himself actually dating her, you were honestly jealous.

"Have you thought about where you're going for college?"

"Not really. The offers are overwhelming, but I don't think going pro is what I want."

You stop halfway into biting down on your third brownie, pulling it away from your mouth to stare at him, "You live and breathe basketball, what are you talking about?"

"I love basketball, sure, but I don't want it to be my career." He flicks off the sweet crumbs off his pants, "I've told my parents about it and they said it's fine with them. They just want me happy with whatever course I take."

"Which is...?" You're alarmed at how nonchalant he moves his shoulders to dismiss the question, "We're graduating in a couple of months, how can you not have decided yet?"

"It'll come to me soon. I'm just weighing each option out. Are you really pursuing child education?"

You love kids even though your patience is questionable, but you'd want nothing more than to be a kid's teacher. "Yep!"

"Teacher [Y/N]." Jaehyun muses, "It has a nice ring to it."

"I can't wait for actual children to scream it from the top of their lungs—hey, you can try sports science. You could be a coach or a personal trainer." You shiver a little when the wind picks up. It's definitely night time now with the neighboring apartments' lights and street lamps illuminating your bodies.

"I'll check it out." He purses his lips and nods. "We should probably head back inside."

"Yeah." You mumble, but neither of you move to get up. Peeking at each other, you suddenly laugh at yourselves. "I don't want to leave yet."

"Me, too." Jaehyun sighs, looking down to the street to watch the pedestrians and cars go by. "It feels weird to miss you when we see each other everyday. Sometimes I wish we could just be kids again."

"No school or other responsibilities to worry about." You muse, "Eat, play, sleep, and repeat."

Before either of you know it, you're reminiscing the past; reminding each other about certain memories and promising to visit places your parents took you to play before. It was when Jaehyun's dad suddenly pops out behind you from the fire exit door, voicing out his concern that it's been nearly 5 hours since they sent Jaehyun out to give you the brownies. As you return to your respective apartments, you only noticed how much warmer it was now you were inside and the little mosquito bites you had on your arms.