thirteenth sign pt 1

You feel butterflies when you see them, especially when they touch you.

-

With Prom happening on the weekend before the Valentine's Day event at school, Joohyun needed you more than ever—going as far as having you and some of the other volunteers to sleepover at her house or yours.

The night before prom, you and the others were settled in your living room; playing idle music on someone's phone and repacking the sweets that have been pre-ordered for Valentine's day.

"I can't believe the Jung Jaehyun is just next door." Miyoung gushes as she counts some pieces of wrapped candies and double checking a list on her clipboard before tossing it into a small pouch.

"Oh my god." You look up from the filled pouches, "are you one of his fangirls?"

"No. He's just so popular that it's like he's a celebrity or something." She shrugs her shoulders, "What's it like being his best friend?"

You make a face, "Like... having a best friend, but he's a guy? I don't know what you want me to say. I've literally been friends with him since we were born - well, I was born, he's a whole month older than me."

"It's also really cute that he's born on Valentine's day and you were born on White day." The other girl, Sora, chimes in, "Honestly, you're really lucky to be his best friend; he's so sweet and kind. How are you not in love with him?"

You shrug your shoulders and suck in your lips, humming in faux disgust and hoping no one would notice your cheeks heating up but then Joohyun lets out a loud gasp.

"You are!"

"I'm not." You immediately deny, which you should have thought about because the way your voice hitched made all of them squeal.

"Since when?!" They demanded, all of them stopping their individual duties to question you.

Annoyed, you knew you wouldn't be able to get them off your back about this so you throw your hands up in defeat. "I don't know! I don't... know when it started... It just did."

"When do you plan to confess?" Miyoung asks, "Oh! Tomorrow at prom? You guys are going together, right? Don't-" She points at you when you start to correct her, "tell us you're just going as friends because it'll be different now that you actually have feelings for him."

"I've never really thought about confessing to him." You admit, gazing at your hands. "I'm honestly terrified about it. He's my best friend and... I don't want to risk our years of friendship over some stupid crush."

Joohyun moves to sit beside you, "Well, who are we to assume that he doesn't feel the same way? You know he looks at you differently."

"He does not."

"Have you watched any of the fancams of him during your performance during the school fair? Which, by the way, you guys were amazing. I've seen the two of you in class and along the halls, but I've never seen him look at you the way he did when you were performing. I'm pretty sure the entire school is waiting for you two to get together."

"That could be anything. Maybe it's the rush of being in front of literally the entire student body with their phones whipped out and recording him or maybe it's because he's looking out for me because I was ready to shit myself the second I make a mistake." You roll your eyes, pushing yourself off the ground and picking up the box of repacked candies. "And he did that because I told him to. Jaehyun's always protective of me... we're like siblings we never had so..."

As you move the box over to the side with the other box that's been filled, you let out a sigh. They've already made you say it out loud, so you might as well tell everything else you've been keeping to yourself. They're probably way more experienced with these kinds of things than you.