10

song of the day

DARK PARADISE - LANA DEL REY

V A L E R I E

I closed my eyes and listened to the song playing on the gramophone. It was a sweet melancholy that brought back the bittersweet memories. I remember when my mother gifted it to me. It was my twentieth birthday back in the 1800s when she surprised me with a gramophone. Only she knew about my passion towards music as she was the one who pushed me towards it.

She was the one who taught me how to play piano. She was an excellent singer and musician. I could never be like her. Never be good enough like her.

I sensed William coming into my room and then suddenly the song stopped playing. I heaved a sigh and without opening my eyes asked him, "What can I help you with, William ? not to mention at 2 o' clock in the morning"

"I want to know when are you going to face your mate in school. It's been three days since you have skipped school and drowned yourself into the endless heap of files in the office." He demands me.

I took a deep breath and released it slowly, "Firstly, I have not exactly drowned myself in the heaps of file. That's a bit of exaggeration. Secondly, that's none of your concern."

He frowned at me clearly not believing any words that just spurted out of my mouth. I don't believe them too.

He shook his head "That's a lie"

"It is not,"

"It is."

"Let's not argue on that right now. We have other important subject to talk on." William sighed.

I snorted, "You don't expect me to answer you, do you?"

He raised his eyebrow, " You don't expect me to leave you until I get my answers, do you?" He shot back.

I rolled my eyes at him and closed my eyes back ignoring his presence.

"Valerie" he sternly called out my name. The way he called my name made me open my eyes and look at him. He sounded serious, authoritative even, I have not heard him speak this way for so long that it seems foreign to me.

"You are strong. Just like your name Vi." He told me softly. He reminded me of the old times when I would run away from my problems instead of facing them. I would shut myself out and close off. Somehow William would find me and encourage me to face them.

"I am scared" I confessed. For the first time in three years I have felt like this again. Scared, vulnerable, weak. It is making me a mess.

He smiled softly at me and then cupped my face in between his two large hands. At the sudden contact I flinched slightly. He looked sad and then focused at me again.