第1章

PERFECT FAÇADE

❝There's a story behind every person. There's a reason why they are the way they are. They aren't just like that because they want to be. Something in the past created them, and sometimes it's impossible to fix.❞
-    Hanny Quinn

Third-Person POV

Mayumi slowly opened her eyes whilst groaning as pain permeated throughout her petite body.

Suddenly, for the nth time, thousands of disturbing yet familiar scenes shuffled through her aching mind like a raging storm.

She let out a piercing scream whilst shaking her head violently as boundless tears drenched her pale cheeks. "Nooooooo! Stop! Nooooooo!"

The double-door abruptly opened and a beautiful woman in her mid-forties went inside with a panic-stricken face. Upon seeing the pitiful state of her youngest child, tears began to roll down the woman’s cheeks uncontrollably.

Emiko shook her head whilst mentally encouraging herself. 'I have to be strong for my daughter.' She immediately wiped her tears away with her shaking hands, ran towards her daughter and pulled her in a tight embrace.

"Shh… calm down. Okaasama's here. It’s just a bad dream." Emiko said whilst caressing her daughter’s back gently.

She closed her eyes and started humming a soothing tune which eventually calmed her daughter down… more so to herself.

After making sure that her daughter is asleep, Emiko turned the lamp off and she silently made her way towards the wooden, double-door. She looked at her daughter for the last time before closing the door behind her gently.

It’s been nearly a month since the accident. However, nightmares never stopped haunting her daughter every single night.

Emiko desperately wanted to stop it… but she can’t. All she could do was to comfort Mayumi every night.

Mayumi was standing near the edge of a tall building– an evil grin plastered on her beautiful face as she pointed her loaded gun on the woman in front of her. The latter pleaded for mercy whilst unconstrained tears drenched her cheeks, however, Mayumi didn’t listen.

Bang–

Unexpectedly, before she could pull the trigger, a loud noise echoed throughout the place. When she looked down, she saw blood gushing forth from her chest. She smiled weakly as her knees dropped on the ground with a soft thud.

Mayumi awakened at the crack of dawn whilst breathing heavily– it was another nightmare.

Her forehead was covered with beads of sweat and her heart was rapidly beating against her chest like a jackhammer.

When her frantic heart finally calmed down, she slowly sat up on her bed and wiped the sweat with the back of her shaking hand.

She’d been dreaming about the same scene for nearly a month now since the accident.

Her right hand unknowingly touched the upper part of her chest where the bullet will hit her.