第11章

FOUNDING ANNIVERSARY

❝We all make mistakes, have struggles, and even regret things in our past. But you are not your mistakes, you are not your struggles, and you are here now with the power to shape your day and your future.❞
- Steve Maraboli

Third-Person POV

As the sun slowly began to rise, casting a warm glow across the Tachibana Estate, Mayumi woke up in a cold sweat, her heart racing and her breathing heavy. Boundless tears were streaming down her face. She had just the strangest dream.

In the dream, Mayumi found herself transported back to her childhood, to her grandparent's estate where she grew up with her onii-sama. She could smell the freshly baked cheesecake her obaa-sama used to make and hear the sound of her onii-sama's laughter as he played in the garden with his personal butler and maids.

But then, something strange began to happen. The scenery shifted, and Mayumi found herself standing in front of an old, abandoned warehouse. This place gave her chills and made her hair stand on end, but she felt drawn to it.

As she slowly stepped inside, she was greeted by a familiar face - her five year old self. She saw herself bound whilst crying uncontrollably. There was a man holding a whip and he was laughing maniacally as he lashed it towards the crying girl. This man was none other than Nakamura Taichi, the ruthless kumichō (組長, boss or chief) of Nakamura-gumi. But before it could reach her, a boy suddenly ran and shielded the poor girl from the ruthless whipping. She tried to get closer, but she couldn't see his face.

Mayumi had always been a vivid dreamer, but this one felt different. It was as if she had been transported back in time to a dark and desolate place. She couldn't shake the image of her younger self, helpless and bound, sobbing as an old man whipped the young boy who was hugging her.

As she lay there in bed, Mayumi tried to make sense of the dream. She couldn't remember anything like this happening to her when she was younger. But the emotions she felt in the dream were so real, so intense.

Mayumi got up and walked around her bedroom, trying to calm herself down. She went to the kitchen and made herself a cup of tea, hoping the warmth would soothe her nerves. As she sipped the tea, she tried to remember if there was anything in her past that could have triggered this dream.

But to no avail, she couldn't remember anything. 'Who is that young boy? Was that merely a dream or a forgotten past?'

In Japan, there are various festive activities held each year in every school, and Nōburu Academy is no different from the rest.

It also has a lot of activities, however, the Founding Anniversary, Undōkai (運動会, sports festival), and Chrysanthemum Festival are considered to be the three biggest events celebrated each school year.

Undōkai (運動会, sports festival) is a one-day event held every last Saturday of the month of May whilst the Founding Anniversary is celebrated on the 7th day of May. Chrysanthemum Festival, on the other hand, is a two-day event held every last Friday and Saturday of October.

The moment Tachibana Mayumi stepped out of the minibus, she was greeted by a buzzing crowd loitering around the large elliptical-shaped clearing located at the center of the Nōburu Forest (West) where various colors and sizes of tents and fair rides were set up.