第8章

MINAMOTO MANOR

❝We live in this world where there is competition in every little thing or evil intentions behind every good deed. It's getting more and more difficult to trust people because almost everyone is good to your face, but many may not be good behind your back.❞
– Quotabulary

Third-Person POV

The students inside the grand dining hall hushed as the automatic sliding door opened and three figures entered.

It was Minamoto Giichi together with Fujiwara Daichi and Taira Hideyoshi.

The three took their seats round the table nearest to the large bow window overlooking a man-made pond filled with water lilies and a variety of Koi whilst murmurs and squeals of admiration rang throughout the crowd, but no one dared to approach them.

"Wipe that frown off your face, Giichi. You're scaring them." Fujiwara Daichi said as he took the menu placed on top of the table.

Minamoto Giichi, however, was just staring at the ornamental pond with furrowed brows.

Fujiwara Daichi smirked as he leaned towards Minamoto Giichi before continuing. "Let me guess. It's about her, isn't it?"

The latter turned to look at his smirking friend with a stoic expression on his face. "Shut up."

"So, it's really about her. Why don't you just confess and tell her the truth, Giichi? Isn't two years of waiting and planning enough? Besides, the more you delay it, the more complicated and difficult it would become." Taira Hideyoshi finally spoke with his arms folded across his chest.

Minamoto Giichi looked at his friends with sadness apparent in his eyes. He hesitated for a moment, but then decided to speak in a whisper.

"She doesn't like me." He said dejectedly with downcast eyes.

Fujiwara Daichi who was looking at the menu sighed before putting it back on the table. "How did you know that? Have you asked her?"

When Minamoto Giichi shook his head, they let out a deep, long sigh.

The former has the highest IQ in the entire country, but when it comes to his love life, he's the worst.

If it weren't for them, their friend wouldn't even know his true feelings for that girl. Sigh. Even a kindergartener is way better than him.

"Just confess to her already before it's too late." Taira Hideyoshi said.

"You should smile often too." Fujiwara Daichi remarked. "I'm talking about your genuine smile, not the business one and stop thinking that showing your emotions is a weakness because it's not."

Minamoto Giichi remained silent as he stared once again at the ornamental pond in contemplation.

Tachibana Mayumi stepped out of a black car with a small smile plastered on her face.

She turned around and bowed towards their driver, Ito Masaki, and thanked him before making her way towards the ceremonial outer gate of the Minamoto Manor.

It is in the shape of a warrior's helmet, and is roofed over with ceramic tiles.

The entire manor is surrounded with a wooden fence (itabei) made of scorched planks of Japanese cedar.

When she reached the gate, she was greeted by the head butler, a middle-aged man named Sato Yuuto.

"Welcome, Mayumi-sama." He said whilst tilting his head in respect.

Mayumi nodded in acknowledgement. "Please follow me. Young Master Giichi is already waiting in the tea room."

Mayumi silently followed the head butler. She wore a light blue sundress paired with a white cardigan that accentuates her curvaceous figure and a pair of silver stilettos. Her hair was styled into a simple side braid, and she applied a light makeup on her face.

She had been in this place more than a dozen of times, however, she couldn't help but still look around her in awe and admiration. Both the exterior and interior designs are exquisite that even modern houses could not compare.

When they reached the main entrance, they removed their shoes and put them in the shoe closet attached to the side wall, before continuing to their destination.

"... arrived. Mayumi-sama?"

Mayumi abruptly turned her head towards Sato Yuuto. "Huh?" She asked, confusion written all over her face.

Yuuto cleared his throat before speaking. "I said that we have arrived, Mayumi-sama."

"Oh." She said with a grateful smile. "Thank you, Sato-san." The head butler stared at Mayumi with disbelief, but it quickly changed into a wide smile.

"My pleasure, Mayumi-sama." He said with a bow before announcing her arrival. "Young Master, Mayumi-sama is here."

"Let her in." They heard a deep voice at the other side of the sliding door made of translucent sheets on a lattice frame. Sato Yuuto opened it. When Mayumi stepped inside, he bowed once again and closed the sliding door.

Minamoto Giichi was sitting at the center with a beautifully designed folding screen behind him and a low table with papers in front. Mayumi bowed. "Thank you for having me here, Giichi-sama."

The former nodded before gesturing to his fiancée to sit.

"I have called you here to tell you something very important about our engagement."

He paused as he took the folder on his side and placed it in front of Mayumi. "I did some research and talked to a lawyer, and I was able to find a way to break off the contract."

Glossary: 
1. -sama (様, さま) is a more respectful version for people of a higher rank than oneself or divine, toward one's guests or customers, and sometimes toward people one greatly admires.

 -sama (様, さま) is a more respectful version for people of a higher rank than oneself or divine, toward one's guests or customers, and sometimes toward people one greatly admires

Please accept my sincerest apology for not updating for a long time.

I don't know why, but writing right now is a struggle for me. Anyways, I hope you like this chapter.

Please vote and leave a comment. I would greatly appreciate it ♥️

 I would greatly appreciate it ♥️