第5章

NYUUGAKUSHIKI

❝It's never too late to become who you want to be. I hope you live a life that you're proud of, and if you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start over.❞
- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Third-Person POV

"Ohayou gozaimasu!" Minamoto Giichi said with a disarming smile on his face as he stood behind the glass podium in a dignified manner. He paused for a short moment whilst studying the crowd before him- like a mighty ruler looking at his subjects.

Tachibana Mayumi rolled her eyes in exasperation as she heard the students, particularly girls, squealing behind her. Minamoto Giichi, however, only raised his right hand to silence the noisy crowd and they unquestioningly obeyed him. He smiled once again before continuing.

"In behalf of the Nōburu Sākuru and the Student Council, it is my great pleasure and privilege to welcome you all to Nōburu Academy. Nyuugakushiki has always been a special day because it marks the beginning of a new life with new routines for the new students. For the rest of us, this day means a continuation. It also means a new start with new challenges and opportunities. Let us start our new year in this institution with expectations and ambitions that regardless of how constrained we may be, we will give a valiant effort to accomplish our dreams. We are very happy that you have made the decision to join us. Welcome!"

The crowd simultaneously clapped as Minamoto Giichi walked down the stairs and made his way back to his designated seat, right next to Tachibana Mayumi.

As the officially chosen Lord and Lady of the Nōburu Sākuru (貴族サークルの主婦, Noble Circle), they are the most powerful and influential figures in the entire academy.

They wielded enormous power and authority that no one could stop or impede them, not even the principal himself.

Nōburu Academy is the sister school of Nōburu University, widely known as Nōdai. The former was established fifteen years after Nōdai was founded, and both are ruled by two highly respected organizations: Nōburu Sākuru and Student Council.

Nōburu Sākuru was established in 1878, a year after Nōdai was founded. The members of the said organization were chosen based on their noble lineage, wealth, and intellect. They wore golden chrysanthemum brooch embellished with precious stones on their collar.

The Student Council, on the other hand, consists of officers who are elected by the student body. Unlike the members of Nōburu Sākuru, the officers wore bronze camellia brooch on their collar.

When Minamoto Giichi finally sat down on his seat, he turned towards Tachibana Mayumi with a frown on his handsome face. "That guy... he keeps on looking at you throughout my speech. Keep away from him. I don't think he can be trusted."

Tachibana Mayumi turned towards Minamoto Giichi with her eyebrows raised questioningly. 'Since when do you care?' She inwardly asked as she looked at her frowning fiancé straight in the eye, but the latter quickly averted his gaze and focused his eyes on the stage where the principal is currently giving his speech instead.

Mayumi narrowed her eyes at him. 'What a weirdo...'

It was exactly nine thirty in the morning when the nyuugakushiki finally ended.

Since it's the first day of class, classes were postponed to give the students the opportunity to join clubs, make new friends, and also to help them familiarize themselves with the campus.

Tachibana Mayumi was about to leave the crowded gym when someone suddenly called her from behind. "Mayu-chan!" Mayumi stopped dead in her tracks and hastily covered her face with her hands in embarrassment.

The other members of the Nōburu Sākuru and old students paid them no mind since it happens all the time. The freshmen, however, stared at them wide-eyed.

Tachibana Mayumi let out a deep, long sigh before turning around. "Ayeka-chan..." Her overly energetic best friend ran towards her and engulfed her in a tight embrace which nearly knocked them both down. "I missed you so much!"

Mayumi sighed for the second time and hugged her back before speaking.

"You went to our house yesterday, Ayeka-chan."

Taira Ayeka giggled as she let Tachibana Mayumi go. "Yes, but we haven't seen each other since last night."

Mayumi rolled her eyes and did not say a word. She turned on her heel and began walking away from her pouting best friend whilst ignoring the uncomfortable stares they're getting from the crowd.

1

1. -chan (ちゃん), most frequently used for girls and between them, children, close friends, or lovers. This can be used when somebody finds a person, a pet, or something adorable and cute.
2. -sama (さま), the more formal version of san. Usually used to refer to customers who are deserving of the utmost respect status in Japan, people of higher rank, or somebody you admire.
3. Nōburu University (ノーブル大学) and Nōburu Academy (ノーブルアカデミー) are just fictional institutions.
4. Nōburu Sākuru is a fictional organization as well.