Part 1: The Remain

AN: Hello, before you start diving right into the first chapter of this book, I'd appreciate that you read this note first, at least if you've been wondering why it's been a long time since I've uploaded...it's because 1. I simply didn't want to release this story too close after the last one. I posted the prologue when I did because it was the day The Rise of Skywalker came out and I was just in a good mood. 2. I've been trying to write chapter after chapter so I won't leave you all on a big hiatus. With that said, thank you for reading this and for understanding. The song Come To This by Natalie Taylor is featured...EnJoy!

Sixty seconds

Sixty seconds. It's a start. Sixty seconds of breathing. Of living. Of being awake. Of being alone. But when I can count each person that's gone for each of those sixty seconds. . .then it's insurmountable. Incapable. Impossible.

But before I know it, those sixty seconds turn into sixty minutes. And those sixty minutes become an hour. And then there'll be enough hours to make a day. Then a week. A month. A year. . .

That's if I make it through this day like I made through the last.

I'm almost done though. Good thing I've become quite used to this mattress. To the hardness of it. How thick it is. The way it presses against my back, how it supports my spine. It's the only thing that's supported me.

Okay, that's a lie.

But about the mattress—it doesn't provide me any less comfort than the thought of doing nothing besides lying on this bed the entire day.

I mean, I want to get up. To walk around. To move. To do something else than lie here or sleep. I want to. I need to.

It's that simple right?

But jokes on me. . .because I don't.

My world split apart. The man I loved, my sister, my best friend, and my other allies and friends were taken from me. People I knew, people I were close to are just gone. But not only that—half the population in the planet—in the entire universe were killed off.

This is hell, isn't it?

My hell.

Just when I thought I've been through it before.

When I think about them, I think about how we failed. How we lost. What I've lost. And then I rethink about leaving this bed. For what?

It's not like if I do I'll see them again. That they'll be outside this bedroom I've confined myself in. I'll only walk out to the world in which none of them exist.